7.1490, Disc: Natural language

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Wed Oct 23 19:39:41 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-1490. Wed Oct 23 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  145

Subject: 7.1490, Disc: Natural language

Associate Editors: Ljuba Veselinova <lveselin at emunix.emich.edu>
                   Ann Dizdar <dizdar at tam2000.tamu.edu>
Assistant Editor:  Sue Robinson <robinson at emunix.emich.edu>
Technical Editor:  Ron Reck <rreck at emunix.emich.edu>

Editor for this issue: robinson at emunix.emich.edu (Susan Robinson)

Date:  Mon, 21 Oct 1996 09:28:27 CDT
From:  allegro at bluesky.net (Stirling Newberry)
Subject:  Re: 7.1480, Disc: Natural language

2)
Date:  Mon, 21 Oct 1996 17:04:49 -0800
From:  bwald at HUMnet.UCLA.EDU (benji wald)
Subject:  natural language

Date:  Mon, 21 Oct 1996 09:28:27 CDT
From:  allegro at bluesky.net (Stirling Newberry)

>Date:  Thu, 17 Oct 1996 14:42:52 -0800
>From:  hendrik at uvic.ca
>Subject:  Re: 7.1463, Disc: Natural language
>
>Having read many of the interesting contributions on how to discern
>natural languages, i feel reminded very much of a few issues from
>Meathematics:
>
>If i have understood the matter correctly, it has been established (by
>Goedel et al) that in any given open system, i.e., one that contains a
>potentially infinite number of elements and operations, there may
>occur statements that are "true" but unprovably so and also some that
>may be unprovably "false" - much to the disappointment (in both ways)
>of those mathematicians who until then believed in the existence of an
>algorithm - searched for but not yet discovered - for distinguishing
>with certainty "true" from "false" statements.

To be precise any system based on bianary (true/false) logic cannot be
both complete (all true statements provable) and consistent (all
statements provable are true).

It can also be shown that it can contain at most an alpha-null number
of predicates.

>Another issue: bivalent or Aristotelian logic is nowadays being seen
>(at least by some) as one of many possible logic system - quite like
>Euclidean geometry, once perceived to be the only possible geometry,
>was relativised by Riemann. ("Fuzzy logic" is the term for
>incorporating this new understanding into statisitcs and computer
>applications.) This does not mean Euklidean geometry is suddenly
>"wrong"; it is now perceived as a subset instead of the whole set and
>can thus only be applied correctly in the appropriate context.

This can be shown to be the case - the value q is the superposition of
true and false. q based systems can avoid the Goedel limit and be both
complete and consistent and can contain an number of the continuum
number of predicates.

Stirling Newberry
Boston, Massachusetts
allegro at bluesky.net