7.1502, Sum: Affricates (st>ts)

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Fri Oct 25 16:30:42 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-1502. Fri Oct 25 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  145

Subject: 7.1502, Sum: Affricates (st>ts)

Associate Editors: Ljuba Veselinova <lveselin at emunix.emich.edu>
                   Ann Dizdar <dizdar at tam2000.tamu.edu>
Assistant Editor:  Sue Robinson <robinson at emunix.emich.edu>
Technical Editor:  Ron Reck <rreck at emunix.emich.edu>

Editor for this issue: robinson at emunix.emich.edu (Susan Robinson)

Date:  Thu, 24 Oct 1996 15:09:30 EDT
From:  szigetva at osiris.elte.hu (Szigetvari Peter)
Subject:  Sum: affricates (st>ts)

Date:  Thu, 24 Oct 1996 15:09:30 EDT
From:  szigetva at osiris.elte.hu (Szigetvari Peter)

Here is a summary of the responses I received to my query three weeks ago.
The original posting was the following:

>Many write and many say that fricative+stop clusters practically never
>become affricates.  This does happen though in child language: s+t->ts.
>Do you know of any "adult" language that does this or something similar?

I thank the following people for their answers (in the temporal order of
their messages):

Wenchao Li <wcli at vax.ox.ac.uk>
Miguel Carrasquer Vidal <mcv at pi.net>
Joe Stemberger <stemberg at maroon.tc.umn.edu>
Mark A. Mandel <mark at dragonsys.com>
Thomas Widmann <viralbus at access.sanet.ge>

==========WENCHAO LI========================================================

==========JOE STEMBERGER====================================================

==========THOMAS WIDMANN====================================================

==========MIGUEL CARRASQUER VIDAL===========================================

==========MARK A. MANDEL====================================================
>While I have no data to contribute on the specific question you ask, I did
>recently (7-785) ask LINGUIST readers a different question about
>affricates, namely, whether uvular affricates exist in human languages.
>The answers were affirmative and varied.

>I mention this in case the data are useful to your research. My summary
>of the responses appeared in issue 7-838. (I was going to attach a copy,
>but I can't find it on my disk.)

	[Mark later found the file and sent it.  I don't include it,
	however, as it appeared in LINGUIST.]

>                Mark A. Mandel : mark at dragonsys.com
>    Dragon Systems, Inc. : speech recognition : +1 617 965-5200
> 320 Nevada St., Newton, MA 02160, USA : http://www.dragonsys.com/

Apparently the LINGUIST community has no knowledge of any [st]->[ts] change
in "adult" languages, apart from the rather marginal Georgian case (Thomas
Widmann).  Incidentally, I myself thought of another case: the Greek letter
Z, which represented [zd], came to be pronounced [dz]/[z] in later periods.

Taking the change to be metathesis, as Joe Stemberger suggests, parallelled
by [sp]->[ps]/[pf] and Miguel Carrasquer Vidal's Dutch examples, is unlikely
in my case: my informant consistently does the affrication for [st] and never
for [sp] or [sk].  In addition, he only does it word-medially and word-
finally, word-initial sC clusters become C.

Peter Szigetvari
E\"otv\"os Lor\'and University (ELTE)
Budapest, Hungary
szigetva at osiris.elte.hu