7.1509, Qs: Phonology, Revision of textbook, Terms of endearment

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Sat Oct 26 21:02:48 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-1509. Sat Oct 26 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  119

Subject: 7.1509, Qs: Phonology, Revision of textbook, Terms of endearment

Associate Editors: Ljuba Veselinova <lveselin at emunix.emich.edu>
                   Ann Dizdar <dizdar at tam2000.tamu.edu>
Assistant Editor:  Sue Robinson <robinson at emunix.emich.edu>
Technical Editor:  Ron Reck <rreck at emunix.emich.edu>

Date:  Fri, 25 Oct 1996 15:54:49 +0900
From:  rrrtclff at pu-kumamoto.ac.jp (Robert Ratcliffe)
Subject:  Phonology

2)
Date:  Fri, 25 Oct 1996 08:20:19 PDT
From:  finegan at bcf.usc.edu (Ed Finegan)
Subject:  Revision of textbook

3)
Date:  Sat, 26 Oct 1996 16:14:10 EDT
From:  kmeeha01 at fiu.edu (kelly a meehan)
Subject:  Terms of endearment

Date:  Fri, 25 Oct 1996 15:54:49 +0900
From:  rrrtclff at pu-kumamoto.ac.jp (Robert Ratcliffe)

Does anyone know of a language, the phonological system of which has
BOTH of the two following properties:

1. Onsets are obligatory.  (That is V or VC syllables are not
permitted.  And borrowed words which start with a vowel would be
supplied with a default onset. Thus the name of the language "english"
would become "yenglish" or "henglish," or something like that.)

2. Vowel and consonant length are NOT contrastive.  (So we wouldn't
find contrasts between long and short vowels, or between geminate and
simple consonants.)

Thanks for your help.

Robert R. Ratcliffe
The Prefectural University of Kumamoto