7.1527, Qs: Imperatives, Lang of the blind, Clyne article

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Tue Oct 29 17:25:59 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-1527. Tue Oct 29 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  132

Subject: 7.1527, Qs: Imperatives, Lang of the blind, Clyne article

Associate Editors: Ljuba Veselinova <lveselin at emunix.emich.edu>
                   Ann Dizdar <dizdar at tam2000.tamu.edu>
Assistant Editor:  Sue Robinson <robinson at emunix.emich.edu>
Technical Editor:  Ron Reck <rreck at emunix.emich.edu>

Date:  Mon, 28 Oct 1996 16:32:47 EST
From:  kate at global2000.net (Kate Gladstone & Andrew Haber)
Subject:  Imperatives

2)
Date:  29 Oct 1996 14:53:58 GMT
From:  lnp6atcf at LUCS-MAC.NOVELL.LEEDS.AC.UK ("A.T.C.Fox" )
Subject:   Language of the blind

3)
Date:  Tue, 29 Oct 1996 16:02:32 +0100
From:  s-hilgen at uiuc.edu (Suzanne K. Hilgendorf)
Subject:  Q: searching for Clyne article

Date:  Mon, 28 Oct 1996 16:32:47 EST
From:  kate at global2000.net (Kate Gladstone & Andrew Haber)

Does anyone know of a natural language in which the PRONOUN, not the
verb-form, changes to make a statement a command?

I should clarify that I do NOT mean a language like English where "you"
is replaced by -zero- to turn "You go" into "go", but a language in
which the pronoun would be replaced by a *different* pronoun

(as if English were to change "You go" into, say, "Koo go" to mean
"Go," or were to change "We go" into "Kee go" to mean "Let's go.")

Yours for better letters,

Kate Gladstone
Handwriting Repair
325 South Manning Boulevard