7.1533, Qs: Engl expressions, Newspapers on CDROM, Varieties of Engl

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Wed Oct 30 16:33:37 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-1533. Wed Oct 30 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  143

Subject: 7.1533, Qs: Engl expressions, Newspapers on CDROM, Varieties of Engl

Associate Editors: Ljuba Veselinova <lveselin at emunix.emich.edu>
                   Ann Dizdar <dizdar at tam2000.tamu.edu>
Assistant Editor:  Sue Robinson <robinson at emunix.emich.edu>
Technical Editor:  Ron Reck <rreck at emunix.emich.edu>

Date:  Wed, 30 Oct 1996 11:46:00 +0700
From:  lenz at mx300e.ids-mannheim.de
Subject:  English expressions

2)
Date:  Wed, 30 Oct 1996 11:08:00 +0700
From:  lenz at mx300e.ids-mannheim.de
Subject:  Newspapers on CDROM

3)
Date:  Wed, 30 Oct 1996 07:55:27 GMT
From:  bjones at unam.na
Subject:  Looking for a text on varieties of English

Date:  Wed, 30 Oct 1996 11:46:00 +0700
From:  lenz at mx300e.ids-mannheim.de

	  Dear all:

	  I came across some strange phenomenon when studying the re-
	  spective lexical influence of English and German in the en-
	  vironmental context: in German studies about the influence
	  of English on German it is commonly assumed that the German
	  compound elements
	  Einweg-
	  Mehrweg-
	  are derived (by means of loan translation) from the English
	  forms
	  one-way (a synonym would be 'non-recyclable')
	  two-way (!) (synonym would be 'reusable')
	  This does not quite convince me, much more so since several
	  English native speakers told me that they had never heard of
	  such forms in English.

	  Does anyone know if these English expressions are or were
	  at any point common usage?

	  Thank you very much for any help you can give me with this!

	  Best regards
	  Susanne

	  Susanne Lenz				    Tel:+621/1581-415
	  Institut fuer deutsche Sprache	    Fax:+621/1581-415
	  R 5, 6-13
	  D-68161 Mannheim	    email:lenz mx300e.ids-mannheim.de
	  Information on the Institute: http://www.ids-mannheim.de/
	  Unless noted otherwise, I am speaking privately and not for
	  the institute.
	  does anyone know if any German libraries hold copies of US
	  newspapers on CDROM?
	  Thank you for your help.

	  Susanne

	  Liebe Linguisten:
	  wer kann mir sagen, an welchen deutschen Bibliotheken
	  CDROM-Versionen amerikanischer Tageszeitungen verfuegbar
	  sind?
	  Vielen Dank fuer Ihre Hilfe.