7.1208, Disc: Grammaticalization

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Sun Sep 1 00:35:12 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-1208. Sat Aug 31 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  249

Subject: 7.1208, Disc: Grammaticalization

Date:  Mon, 26 Aug 1996 18:24:55 +0200
From:  martinha at zedat.fu-berlin.de (Martin Haspelmath)
Subject:  Disc: Grammaticalization

2)
Date:  Mon, 26 Aug 1996 14:26:27
From:  w.croft at man.ac.uk (Bill Croft)
Subject:  Grammaticalization

3)
Date:  Mon, 26 Aug 1996 11:45:09 BST
From:  larryt at cogs.susx.ac.uk ("Larry Trask")

Date:  Mon, 26 Aug 1996 18:24:55 +0200
From:  martinha at zedat.fu-berlin.de (Martin Haspelmath)

In the discussion of grammaticalization, David Pesetsky writes:

> This remark [by Oesten Dahl] puzzles me.  Putting aside Fritz Newmeyer's
> questions, let's suppose that these studies [on grammaticalization] show
> what they claim to show. In what way are
> the results incompatible with "the Chomskyan paradigm"?

The results of grammaticalization research are not incompatible with
the Chomskyan program, but they don't fit well with it, as Oesten
notes. The central part of the Chomskyan program is to explain grammar
acquisition (and thus indirectly grammar) on the basis of highly
specific innate mental structures ("universal grammar"). Research in
grammaticalization shows that to a large extent, the way grammars are
structured results from the way they are shaped in diachronic
processes of grammaticalization. (For instance, the fact that
languages with rich agreement are generally pro-drop results from the
generally simultaneous grammaticalization of personal pronouns and
loss of agreement affixes.)
  Grammaticalization changes arise in the process of language use --
it is quite impossible to account for them in a pure competence
perspective.  Grammaticalization studies thus show that many
grammatical structures cannot be understood without reference to
language use. This undermines the Chomskyan program in that it reduces
its applicability to those grammatical domains that are unaffected by
language use.
  Ideally, linguists would work together trying to figure out which
properties of grammar are due to innate structures, and which
properties are due to language use. Unfortunately, there seems to be a
widespread tendency among both functionalists and formalists to claim
all of grammar for their approach, and to ignore the results of the
other approach. How can we overcome this tendency?

Martin Haspelmath (Free University of Berlin)