7.1210, Qs: Implicatures, Tests for interpreters, Lang in the media

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Sun Sep 1 01:03:12 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-1210. Sat Aug 31 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  127

Subject: 7.1210, Qs: Implicatures, Tests for interpreters, Lang in the media

Date:  Thu, 29 Aug 1996 15:33:01 EDT
From:  aaa552 at agora.ulaval.ca (PIERRE LARRIVEE)
Subject:  implicatures

2)
Date:  Thu, 29 Aug 1996 13:22:19 EDT
From:  P-MDICKSON at bss3.umd.edu ("Marcus W. Dickson")
Subject:        Hiring tests for interpreters

3)
Date:  Sat, 31 Aug 1996 14:54:46 PDT
From:  LSILVAV at ucla.edu (Luis Silva-Villar)
Subject:  Language in the media

Date:  Thu, 29 Aug 1996 15:33:01 EDT
From:  aaa552 at agora.ulaval.ca (PIERRE LARRIVEE)

Dear Linguists, Engaging unto the wonderful path of pragmatics for
thesis-related issues, and being new to the field, I<d like to know if
the distinction between conventionnal and conversationna l
are reliable categories.  Do they cover all of implicatures and
implications? Are they clearly mutually excluding categories, or are
there cases known to fall in both, or in between? Troublesome data and
pointers to recent specialized reference will be very useful, and I
will post a summary to the list, so you can contact me
directly. Thanks to all in advance, Pierre Larrivee Universite Laval

aaa552 at agora.ulaval.ca