7.1224, Sum: Job sources for TESOL

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Tue Sep 3 13:47:08 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-1224. Tue Sep 3 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  114

Subject: 7.1224, Sum: Job sources for TESOL

Date:  Sat, 31 Aug 1996 09:44:56 +0900
From:  horishin at job.eecs.kumamoto-u.ac.jp (Hori Masahiro)
Subject:  Job sources for TESOL

Date:  Sat, 31 Aug 1996 09:44:56 +0900
From:  horishin at job.eecs.kumamoto-u.ac.jp (Hori Masahiro)

Dear LINGUIST members:

A little over a month ago I sent the following request to
the members of this list:

     I have been asked by individuals at a university in the Kyushu
     region of Japan to assist in a search for an entry-level English
     professor.  I am told that it is preferable for applicants to have
     done graduate work in teaching English as a second language.
     When the time comes to formally advertise the openning I plan
     to do so on this list but would also like to advertise on other
     lists that are used by persons interested in teaching English as
     a secong language.  I would greatly appreciate receiving
     suggestions regarding lists that would be appropriate for such
     an advertisement.
     Please respond directly by e-mail.  Thank you.

I received several very helpful responses.  I have already privately
expressed my appreciation to the individuals who were kind enough
to repond but wish to reiterate my appreciation here.  Thanks to them,
I learned that, in addition to this list, there are two venues that are
particularly suited to the advertisement of the type of position I
described.  The first is TESL-L.  The following is a description of
how to subscribe I received from one particularly thoughtful individual:

     TESL-L is the list for teachers of English as a second or foreign
     language.
     It has a branch called TESLJB-L, where jobs for teachers and
     administrators can be posted. Only regular subscribers can post.
     If you want to subscribe send a message to
          listserv @cunyvm.cuny.edu
     with this message in the body:
          sub tesl-l firstname lastname
          sub tesljb-l firstname lastname
     You cannot subscribe only to tesljb without subscribing to tesl-l,
     but you can add the message       set * nomail tesl-l
     to your message if you are not interesed in it.

The second is O-Hayo Sensei.  Here is what I was told about it:

     The WWW site "O-Hayo sensei" (http://www.ohayosensei.com) is
     probably one of the best sites for you to post ads to. O-Hayo
     Sensei, a bi-weekly onlinenewsletter, provides information on
     teaching opportunities in Japan. I only took a casual glance at
     the page, but it seems clear from the the webcounter reading
     that not a few job-seekers having access to the site
     every day (11294 people have accessed since 21 October 1995).
     The editor of O-Hayo Sensei can be contacted at:
                editor at ohayosensei.com
     You can place a job ad in Ohio Sensei by sending the
     message "get position form" to:  position at ohayosensei.com

Further information about opportunities to teach English in Japan
can be found "Teaching English in Japan" (URL:
http://www.ling.lancs.ac.uk/staff/visitors/kenji/teij.htm ).  I looked
at this but did not find any site other than those mentioned above
at which I wished to advertise.

The response from each of the three sites has been good.  I have
received inquiries from about thirty individuals so far.  I was
initially concerned that the number of respondents to our
advertisement would be so great that replying to their inquiries
would be a tremendous burden.
Fortunately, however, the response has been strong but not
overwhelming.  Most of the respondents are well qualified.

I hope the information I have provided here is useful to institutions
considering advertising on the Internet and to persons seeking similar
positions.

Yours truly,

KIrk Masden
Kumamoto Gakuen University
Kumamoto, Japan
e-mail: masden at job.eecs.kumamoto-u.ac.jp

P.S. Persons wishing to receive information about the position we
are advertising should either look at our ad in O-hayo Sensei (address
given above) or write to me via e-mail.