7.1231, Sum: /wo/ -> /jo/

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Thu Sep 5 00:27:08 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-1231. Wed Sep 4 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  314

Subject: 7.1231, Sum: /wo/ -> /jo/

Date:  Mon, 02 Sep 1996 11:47:30 EDT
From:  bertinet at sns.it (Bertinetto Pier Marco)
Subject:  Sum: /wo/ -> /jo/

Date:  Mon, 02 Sep 1996 11:47:30 EDT
From:  bertinet at sns.it (Bertinetto Pier Marco)

Hallo everybody.

A couple of months ago I sent a message, concerning a sound change to
be observed in the Venetian dialect. Please note that "dialect" should
be intended here as "local vernacular", rather than "local variety of
the national language" (i.e. Italian). This is obvious for those who
are familiar with the sociolinguistic situation of Italy, but it might
be misunderstood by many.

Below I reproduce the original message. The colleague who addressed my
attention to this problem is Alfredo Stussi, with whom I discussed
this summary. We jointly thank all those who responded to our query.
Unfortunately, due to some clumsy manoever that I did in transfering
the messages from this address to my home address (and to Alfredo's
one), I lost part of the data concerning the contributors. Below is
what I could recover from my files:

Celso Alvarez-Caccamo, Universidade da Corunha  (lxalvarz at udc.es)
Paola Beninc`, Padova                           (beninca at ipdunidx.unipd.it)
Henno Brandsma, ???                             (hsbrand at cs.vu.nl)
Jakob Dempsey, Taiwan                           (???)
Richard Desrochers, Montreal                    <desrochr at ERE.UMontreal.CA)
John Dienhart, Odense                           (jmd at language.ou.dk)
Simon Donnelly, ???                             (???)
Lance Eccles, Macquarie U., Australia           (lance.eccles at mq.edu.au)
Thomas T. Field, University of Maryland         (???)
James Gianola, ???                              (james at sensoryc.com)
Ron Kuzar, Haifa U.                             (kuzar at research.haifa.ac.il)
Mark Liberman, UPenn                            (myl at unagi.cis.upenn.edu)
Michele Loporcaro, Z|rich                       (mloporca at rom.unizh.ch)