7.1233, FYI: Grad student positions, ACLU on Eng-only, O-Hayo Sensei

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Thu Sep 5 01:07:49 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-1233. Wed Sep 4 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  170

Subject: 7.1233, FYI: Grad student positions, ACLU on Eng-only, O-Hayo Sensei

Date:  Fri, 30 Aug 1996 10:22:45 +0700
From:  M.M.vdWiel at kub.nl ("Marleen van de Wiel")
Subject:  Graduate Student Positions in Syntax/Phonology

2)
Date:  Mon, 02 Sep 1996 07:24:57 CDT
From:  kstanley at charlotte.infi.net (Karen Stanley)
Subject:  ACLU briefing on eng-only language policy

3)
Date:  Mon, 02 Sep 1996 08:27:13 -0800
From:  editor at ohayosensei.com
Subject:  O-Hayo Sensei #15 Now Available

Date:  Fri, 30 Aug 1996 10:22:45 +0700
From:  M.M.vdWiel at kub.nl ("Marleen van de Wiel")

         Graduate Student Positions in Syntax/Phonology
                    at CLS/Tilburg University

The Grammatical Models Group (GM) at the Center for Language Studies
(CLS) / Tilburg University invites applications for admission from
prospective graduate students. The GM-group (staff: Norbert Corver,
Ben Hermans, Riny Huybregts, Henk van Riemsdijk (chair), and Craig
Thiersch) is specialized in syntax and phonology, but within CLS it is
integrated with groups working on formal semantics, computational
linguistics, psycho- and sociolinguistics, and phonetics. More
information about CLS can be obtained from Marleen van de Wiel
(CLS at KUB.NL). You may also wish to consult our homepage under
construction at:
              http://cwis.kub.nl/~fdl/research/gm/index.htm

The program leads to a Ph.D. degree in four years. Classwork
requirements are organized within LOT, the collaborative network of
Dutch graduate schools in linguistics.

Candidates are expected to have some background in linguistics. For
most countries this means that they should have completed an MA degree
or hold an equivalent diploma. Applications should be accompanied by a
statement of purpose, a curriculum vitae, a sample of recently written
papers (if any), and three names (preferably with e-mail addresses) of
people willing to write a letter of recommendation or to provide
information about the candidate in some other form. Furthermore,
students whose native language is not Dutch or English should submit
satisfactory evidence for their proficiency in English. Deadline for
the receipt of applications is October 1 1996.

We expect to be able to accept a maximum of four new graduate
students. Admission decisions may be expected by the end of october
and the start of the program is January 1 1997.

Successful applicants may expect a waiver of all tuition. Furthermore,
the usual facilities (desk, computer, some travel money) are offered,
as well as support with housing, immigrations, etc. (no guarantees,
though). To two of the candidates who are admitted we can offer
additional financial support in the form of a graduate stipend of NLG
27'000.-- per year (annually renewable for a total of four years,
provided results are satisfactory), that is approximatively NLG
2250.-- or slightly in excess of US$ 1300.-- per month. A graduate
stipend further entitles the recipient to a maximum of two years worth
of postdoctoral employment in our department provided the dissertation
is completed in time. Any application should specify if your actual
enrollment in our program is contingent on obtaining a graduate
stipend or whether you can also come with independent financial
support (note that non-Dutch citizens will have to submit proof of
financial support to the immigrations authorities in order to obtain a
residency permit).

Applications are to be sent in hard copy to:      Norbert Corver
                                  Tilburg Univ. / Letteren / GM / CLS
                                  P.O. Box 90153 NL - 5000 LE -
                                  TILBURG Fax: +31 13 4663110 Tel: +31
                                  13 4662773/4662971 E-mail: