7.1252, All: LINGUIST receives an NSF Grant

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Mon Sep 9 22:22:30 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-1252. Mon Sep 9 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  83

Subject: 7.1252, All: LINGUIST receives an NSF Grant

Editor for this issue: aristar at tam2000.tamu.edu (Anthony Rodrigues Aristar)

Date:  Mon, 09 Sep 1996 18:12:00 EDT
From:  linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu (The LINGUIST Network)
Subject:  LINGUIST receives an NSF Grant

Date:  Mon, 09 Sep 1996 18:12:00 EDT
From:  linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu (The LINGUIST Network)

Over the years many LINGUIST subscribers have written asking
us to expand the functionalities which the Network and our websites
offer.  In the past we have always, with considerable regret, had to
decline to do so.  We've known that there's a great deal more we
could do, but we've simply lacked the money and resources to do them.

We're pleased, therefore, to announce to the linguistic community
that the National Science Foundation in the USA has awarded
LINGUIST a fairly substantial grant with which to expand our
services.  We've already begun work on the grant, but we feel very
strongly that the linguistic community should have as much input
into the process as possible.  For that reason, we've made copies of
the grant available on our sites on the World Wide Web.  Anyone
who wishes can read this document at one of the following sites:

   In the USA:

     http://www.emich.edu/~linguist/proposal_toc.html

http://engserve.tamu.edu/files/linguistics/linguist/proposal_toc.html

   In Germany:

     http://www.sfs.nphil.uni-tuebingen.de/linguist/proposal_toc.html

We urge you to take a look at section C.4, which sets out (in typically
ambitious proposal-writing terms) what we hope to accomplish.  As you
will see, the software development has essentially 3 objectives:

        -improve the mailing interface used by the editors

        -develop the LINGUIST WWW web site into a central site for the
electronic dissemination of linguistic information

        -investigate (and if necessary promulgate) a standard way of
representing electronically linguistic texts and multinational
characters

The second aim is the focus of the grant.  But we would like to solicit
your suggestions about any of the enterprises we plan.  What changes or
enhancements would you like to see on LINGUIST, either in the email
issues or the web site?  What do you think should be our priorities?
What do you think we left out?  Now is the time to let us know.  Please
send your suggestions to:

        linguist at tamvm1.tamu.edu

Thank you very much for your help.

Anthony, Helen & Daniel