7.1261, Qs: Unknown language, Intuitive/empirical ling, Epenthesis

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Wed Sep 11 16:26:57 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-1261. Wed Sep 11 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  139

Subject: 7.1261, Qs: Unknown language, Intuitive/empirical ling, Epenthesis

Date:  Tue, 10 Sep 1996 20:08:36 BST
From:  jcb at dcs.ed.ac.uk (Julian Bradfield)
Subject:  an unknown language

2)
Date:  Tue, 10 Sep 1996 11:48:35 CDT
From:  cnelson at sla.purdue.edu ("Christian K. Nelson")
Subject:  Query: Intuitive vs. Empirical Linguistics

3)
Date:  Tue, 10 Sep 1996 20:38:43 -0800
From:  polgardi at rullet.LeidenUniv.nl (Krisztina Polgardi)
Subject:  Q: epenthesis after final consonant clusters

Date:  Tue, 10 Sep 1996 20:08:36 BST
From:  jcb at dcs.ed.ac.uk (Julian Bradfield)

I have been asked whether I can help to identify the language of the
following text---I have no idea, but I wonder if any LINGUIST
subscribers might help. The text was written by one Alexey Berardi who
killed himself a few months ago, and his parents are trying to
understand as much as possible about him.

Mr Berardi had recently "adopted Native-American beliefs and culture"
(of which tribe, I don't know), and the drum-head on which the text is
written also has various horoscopic and Native American symbols. Thus
it seems possible that the language is, or is based on, an American
language. However, it might also be a private language, or indeed
meaningless. Can the list identify any American language, or say
definitely that it is not an American language?