7.1263, Disc: Grammaticalization, Multilinguality

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Wed Sep 11 17:03:33 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-1263. Wed Sep 11 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  128

Subject: 7.1263, Disc: Grammaticalization, Multilinguality

Date:  Thu, 05 Sep 1996 15:28:26 BST
From:  oesten at ling.su.se (Oesten Dahl)
Subject:  Discussion on Grammaticalization

2)
Date:  Thu, 05 Sep 1996 09:41:54 MDT
From:  jfidel at udlapvms.pue.udlap.mx ("James L. Fidelholtz")
Subject:  Re: 7.1160, Disc: Multilinguality

Date:  Thu, 05 Sep 1996 15:28:26 BST
From:  oesten at ling.su.se (Oesten Dahl)

It is now quite some time since I made my remarks on Fritz Newmeyer's
posting about grammaticalization, and many people have said things
about the compatibility or incompatibility of grammaticalization
theory and the Chomskyan paradigm. At this point, I would just like to
say that I agree with David Pesetsky and others that one may accept
the general Chomskyan approach without excluding the possibility of
UG-external explanations; on the other hand, I think time will show
that such explanations, in particular those having to do with
diachronic processes such as grammaticalization, cannot just play the
marginal role they have had so far in Chomskyan theory but must obtain
a central and integrated place in the theory of grammar.
        Personally, I have always found it plausible that there is a
fairly rich genetically determined component in language; I think,
however, that simply postulating a "universal grammar" in our heads
does not explain very much. As Martin Haspelmath notes,

> Research in
>grammaticalization shows that to a large extent, the way grammars are
>structured results from the way they are shaped in diachronic
>processes of grammaticalization.

But like some other discussants, I also am afraid of attempts to
reduce everything to a question of "language use". It is important not
to forget that in order to use a language we have to learn it, and I
think it is a challenge for any theory that the results of the
diachronic processes of grammaticalization belong to those parts of
language that pose very severe problems when we try to learn a second
language - problems that have been used as primary arguments for
postulating an innate component in grammar.  Perhaps what we witness
here is the outcome of a process of "coevolution" - humans have
developed in such a way that we are (as small children) prepared to
learn precisely those structures that tend to develop
diachronically. But now I am of course just speculating...

Oesten Dahl
(Dept. of Linguistics, Stockholm University, Stockholm, Sweden)