7.1268, Qs: Lgs of Philippines, Hebrew

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Thu Sep 12 15:22:45 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-1268. Thu Sep 12 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  114

Subject: 7.1268, Qs: Lgs of Philippines, Hebrew

Date:  Wed, 11 Sep 1996 09:07:27 +0800
From:  carolyn at central.murdoch.edu.au (Carolyn Brewer)
Subject:  Lgs of Philippines

2)
Date:  Wed, 11 Sep 1996 11:32:00 +0900
From:  PXX06625 at niftyserve.or.jp ("PXX06625 at niftyse")
Subject:  Hebrew

Date:  Wed, 11 Sep 1996 09:07:27 +0800
From:  carolyn at central.murdoch.edu.au (Carolyn Brewer)

I'm a new member to this group.  My background is in religious and
feminist studies, and my current doctoral research is an historical
study into the impact on women priestesses (baylans or catalonans) by
hispanic catholicism in the Philippines.  I have a question for the
list, and since my disciplines do not normally involve 'linguistics' I
hope you'll bear with me..

My question about the way that certain words to do with animist
religious practitioners have disappeared from the languages of the
archipelago.  This is not a simple horizontal replacement of one word
for another for example baylan - sacerdotisa (shaman to priestess),
but rather these positive words, catalonan and baylan, have been
replaced with negative words - such as a transliteration of the
Spanish bruja [bruha] - witch.

Since this isn't my field, can anyone advise me of books or articles that
may help me theorise this phenomenon.

Carolyn
Carolyn Brewer		Email      carolyn at central.murdoch.edu.au
Asian Studies		Home Phone (09) 418 3972
Murdoch University      Fax        (09) 360 6367