7.1269, Qs: Counting syllables, 'dinkum', English and prescriptivism

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Thu Sep 12 15:32:15 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-1269. Thu Sep 12 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  117

Subject: 7.1269, Qs: Counting syllables, 'dinkum', English and prescriptivism

Date:  Sun, 08 Sep 1996 08:34:28 EDT
From:  rodr at 155.212.1.1 (Rod Rodrigues)
Subject:  counting syllables

2)
Date:  Thu, 12 Sep 1996 15:19:17 +1000
From:  peter.holmes at u030.aone.net.au (dima)
Subject:  'dinkum'

3)
Date:  Thu, 12 Sep 1996 11:19:08 +0700
From:  <springer_pe at jet.let.vu.nl> (P.E. Springer)
Subject:  Q: Standard English and Prescriptivism

Date:  Sun, 08 Sep 1996 08:34:28 EDT
From:  rodr at 155.212.1.1 (Rod Rodrigues)

Does anyone know of an algorithm for counting syllables?

I am writing an application to determine readability level of textual
material, and one of the common methods, the Frye, uses syllable
count.  Unfortunately, I am not aware of any algorithm for
accomplishing this.  Can anyone help?