7.1287, Sum: Unaccusatives in Korean

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Sun Sep 15 01:36:39 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-1287. Sat Sep 14 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  121

Subject: 7.1287, Sum: Unaccusatives in Korean

Date:  Sat, 14 Sep 1996 01:32:54 PDT
From:  oshita at scf-fs.usc.edu (oshita)
Subject:  Sum: unaccusatives in Korean

Date:  Sat, 14 Sep 1996 01:32:54 PDT
From:  oshita at scf-fs.usc.edu (oshita)

Dear Linguists,

About a week ago, I posted a query for references on Korean
unaccusative verbs.  I have received responses from the following
people to whom I express my sincere gratitude.

Chungmin Lee (clee at plaza.snu.ac.kr)
Jaehoon Yeon (JY1 at soas.ac.uk)
JunMo Cho (junmocho at chass.utoronto.ca)
Larry Trask (larryt at cogs.susx.ac.uk)

The references I received from them are:

Lee, Chungmin. 1989. "(In)definites, Case Markers, Classifiers and
Quantifiers in Korean". Havard Studies in Korean Linguistics, vol.3.

Kim, Young-Joo. 1990. The syntax and semantics of Korean Case: the
interaction between lexical and syntactic levels of
representation. Ph.D.  diss. Harvard University.

Kim, Soowon and Maling, Joan. "Resultatives in Korean and
Unaccusativity".  a paper to be presented at the 7th Japanese/Korean
Linguistics Conference.  Nov. 8-10, 1996. UCLA)

In addition, Prof. Yeon kindly sent me the following list of his
publications on Korean verbs.  For those who can read Korean, I
include here those papers which are written in Korean, too.

1986. Hankwuke Tonsaseng Myengsa Hapsenge uy Coepep kwa Uymi Yenkwu
	[The word-formation and meaning of verbal compounds in
	Korean]. Seoul National University. Seoul. ii + 90 pages.

1989. "Hankwuke Cwunglip Tongsa Kwumun ey tayhan Yenkwu" [A Study on
the Neutral-verb Construction in Korean]. Hangeul (Jounal of the
Korean Language Society) No.203, pp 165-188. Seoul.

1991a. "Interactions of the Causative, Passive and Neutral-verb
Constructions in Korean" Eoneohag (Journal of the Linguistic Society
of Korea) No. 13, pp 95- 112. Seoul.

1991b. "The Korean Causative-Passive Correlation Revisited" Language
Research.  Vol. 27. No. 3. pp 337-358. Language Research
Institute. Seoul National University. Seoul.

1992a. (with J.R.P. King) "Cwungang Asia Hanintul uy Ene - Kolyemal"
(The Korean Language in Central Asia) [in Korean] Hangeul (Jounal of
the Korean Language Society) No.217. pp. 83-134. Seoul.

1992b. "Causatives and Related Issues: A Typological Approach" Studies
in Linguistics Vol.6:65-94. Seoul Linguistics Club. Dept. of
Linguistics, Seoul National University.

____

1993a. "The Degree of Transitivity in Korean: A Functional-Typological
Approach" Language Research Vol.29. No.1. pp.107-136. Language
Research Institute.  Seoul National University. Seoul.

1993b. "Cociamal uy Hyengthaylon Kaykwan - 'split ergativity' uy han
ye" [An Outline of Georgian Morphology - An example of 'split
ergativity'] EONEOHAG (Journal of the Linguistic Society of Korea)
No.15:253-261. A Special Volume Commemorating the Sixtieth Birthday of
Professor Baeg-In Seong. Seoul.

1993c. "Causatives and the Encoding of the Causee" SOAS Working Papers
in Linguistics and Phonetics 3:407-426. Dept. of Linguistics. School
of Oriental and African Studies. London.

1994. "Grammatical Relation Changing Constructions in Korean: A
Functional- Typological Study" Unpublished
Ph.D. dissertation. SOAS. University of London.

1995. "Analyses and Explanations in Functional-typological grammar"
[in Korean] EONEOHAG (Journal of the Linguistic Society of Korea)
Vol. 17: 203- 230.  [ISSN 1225-7494]

1996a. "A functional-typological study on case-marking deviations"
Discourse and Cognition Vol. 2. Discourse and Cognitive Linguistics
Society of Korea.

1996b. "A study on grammatical relation changing constructions in
Korean" [in Korean] Hangeul (Journal of the Korean language society)
Vol. 232.

1996c. "A cross-linguistic perspective on Korean dative-subject
constructions" [in Korean] Kwukehak (Journal of Korean Linguistics)
Vol 28. June 1996. The Society of Korean Linguistics. Seoul.