7.1295, Qs: Schwa epenthesis, Haitian French, had-to, English errors

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Tue Sep 17 14:35:25 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-1295. Tue Sep 17 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  218

Subject: 7.1295, Qs: Schwa epenthesis, Haitian French, had-to, English errors

Editor for this issue: robinson at emunix.emich.edu (Susan Robinson)

Date:  Sat, 14 Sep 1996 16:38:13 -0000
From:  dbritain at essex.ac.uk (David Britain)
Subject:  schwa epenthesis in -own/-ewn past participles

2)
Date:  Sun, 15 Sep 1996 16:26:16 EDT
From:  sshelly at ACS.WOOSTER.EDU
Subject:  Teaching French in Haiti

3)
Date:  Sun, 15 Sep 1996 15:22:30 +0200
From:  hiro-t at ias.tokushima-u.ac.jp (hiro-t)
Subject:  Query: Epistemic _had to_

4)
Date:  Mon, 16 Sep 1996 18:42:00 BST
From:  0431659800-0001 at t-online.de (Guenter Schubert)
Subject:  error-marking

Date:  Sat, 14 Sep 1996 16:38:13 -0000
From:  dbritain at essex.ac.uk (David Britain)

In New Zealand and Australian English, a change is underway in a closed set of
 past
participles ending -own/-ewn (blown, flown, shown, mown, sown, sewn, grown,
 strewn,
known, thrown, hewn).

The change involves the insertion of schwa before the final /n/, so, where @ =
 schwa,:

/flo:n/ becomes /flo:@n/ or /flow at n/
/gro:n/ becomes /gro:@n - grow at n/ etc.
/stru:n/ becomes /stru:@n/
/hju:n/ becomes /hju:@n/

This change is NOT taking place in words such as groan, moan, moon, tune or own
.
 Is
this common anywhere else in the English speaking world?

Look forward to hearing from you. I'll summarise what I hear from you all.

Cheers

Dave Britain
 --------------------------------------

Dr David J Britain