7.1309, Qs: Person restriction, Reflexives, Lists of abbreviations

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Fri Sep 20 23:17:24 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-1309. Fri Sep 20 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  147

Subject: 7.1309, Qs: Person restriction, Reflexives, Lists of abbreviations

Date:  Thu, 19 Sep 1996 11:00:59 +0200
From:  s925043 at ipe.tsukuba.ac.jp (Daniela Caluianu)
Subject:  Qs:person restriction

2)
Date:  Thu, 19 Sep 1996 11:59:37 +0200
From:  iaevi at usc.es (elisa vazquez iglesias)
Subject:  Reflexives

3)
Date:  Thu, 19 Sep 1996 21:41:07 +0200
From:  sipkadan at hum.amu.edu.pl (Danko Sipka)
Subject:  Q: Lists of abbreviations

Date:  Thu, 19 Sep 1996 11:00:59 +0200
From:  s925043 at ipe.tsukuba.ac.jp (Daniela Caluianu)

Dear Linguists,
I'm sorry this has come to be such a long question.

It is common, in Japanese linguistic literature to divide adjectives
into two subclasses: descriptive and subjective (though the labels may
differ among authors).  The latter class is said to express the
speaker's internal states: emotions, sensations, etc. Adjectives in
this class have in common the fact that they cannot be used in their
present tense form with a 2nd or 3rd person subject.  That is, the
Japanese counterpart of the English sentence 'John is sad' is not
acceptable.  The restriction is neutralized with past forms or if
certain modals are added.

Discussing the problem Teramura comments that this is an interesting
particularity of the Japanese language. However, Wierzbicka(1996) p115
mentions the existance of the same phenomenon in Hua . On the same
lines, Postal (1970) points out the contrast between 'seem' and
'think' with regard to the choice of Experiencer.  I wonder if there
are any other languages displaying this kind of person restriction. If
there are, I would like to know: (1) What are the semantic classes to
which the restriction applies (2) Are there any contexts in which the
restriction is suspended?  (3) The case marking pattern of the items
displaying the restriction.  (4) Is the restriction considered
pragmatic, semantic, syntactic?  Any references on the topic would be
most welcome.

Please answer to me directly, I will post a summary.
Thank you in advance.
Daniela Caluianu s925043 at ipe.tsukuba.ac.jp