7.1336, Qs: Palatal stops, Real as adverb, Politeness, Text typology

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Fri Sep 27 17:19:35 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-1336. Fri Sep 27 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  159

Subject: 7.1336, Qs: Palatal stops, Real as adverb, Politeness, Text typology

Date:  Mon, 23 Sep 1996 13:55:46 EDT
From:  lms6 at lictor.acsu.buffalo.edu (Lynn Santelmann)
Subject:  Q: Palatal Stops

2)
Date:  Mon, 23 Sep 1996 18:16:14 +0200
From:  iaevi at usc.es (elisa vazquez iglesias)
Subject:  Real as an adverb

3)
Date:  Tue, 24 Sep 1996 16:24:17 BST
From:  martin.stegu at phil.tu-chemnitz.de (Martin Stegu)
Subject:  Politeness; Diachronic text typology

Date:  Mon, 23 Sep 1996 13:55:46 EDT
From:  lms6 at lictor.acsu.buffalo.edu (Lynn Santelmann)

I am looking for information on the acoustic characteristics of
palatal stops, for a project we are doing with the speech of children
with repaired cleft palates. (These English-speaking children
sometimes use a palatal stop in place of alveolar and/or velar stops.)
So far, our lit search has turned up very little data describing the
acoutsitic charateristics of palatal stops. Can anyone point us to
articles or information on the acoustic characteristics (especially
VOT, burst characteristics and formant transitions) for languages that
use palatal stops phonemically? Characteristics of child productions
would be ideal, but any information at this point would be a great
help.

Thank you,

Lynn Santelmann
SUNY Buffalo