7.1343, TOC: Anthropological Linguistics, vol. 38, no. 3

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Sat Sep 28 00:18:10 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-1343. Fri Sep 27 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  138

Subject: 7.1343, TOC: Anthropological Linguistics, vol. 38, no. 3

Editor for this issue: lveselin at emunix.emich.edu (Ljuba Veselinova)
At the end of the issue is a statement of our policy regarding TOCs
and instructions on retrieving backlists of journal TOCs from our listserv.

----------------------------- Messages --------------------------------

**ANTHROPOLOGICAL LINGUISTICS, Volume 38, Number 3 (Fall 1996)**

CONTENTS

A Reconstruction of the Earliest Songish Text, TIMOTHY MONTLER

A Widespread Marking Reversal in Languages of the Southeastern
United States, CECIL H. BROWN

A Deep Breath and a Second Wind: The Substrate Hypothesis
Reassessed, JOHN H. MCWHORTER

Yodeling of the Indiana Swiss Amish, CHAD L. THOMPSON

The Proverb as a Mitigating and Politeness Strategy in Akan
Discourse, SAMUEL GYASI OBENG

REVIEW ESSAY

Hamito-Semitic Etymological Dictionary: Materials for a
Reconstruction (Vladimir E. Orel and Olga V. Stolbova), JOSEPH
H. GREENBERG

BOOK REVIEWS

Syntactic Iconicity and Linguistic Freezes: The Human Dimension
(Marge E.  Landsberg, editor), LINDA SCHWARTZ

The Dialogic Emergence of Culture (Dennis Tedlock and Bruce
Mannheim, editors), REGNA DARNELL

Constructing Panic: The Discourse of Agoraphobia (Lisa Capps and
Elinor Ochs), A. JAMIE SARIS

Coherence in Psychotic Discourse (Branca Telles Ribeiro),
CHARLOTTE LINDE

Talking Proper': The Rise of Accent as Social Symbol (Lynda
Mugglestone), ROSINA LIPPI-GREEN

Sociolinguistic Perspectives: Papers on Language in Society,
1959-1994 (Charles A. Ferguson. Thom Huebner, editor), ALLEN
D. GRIMSHAW

Language Contact in the American Deaf Community (Ceil Lucas and
Clayton Valli), CHRISTINE MONIKOWSKI

Western Abenaki Dictionary. Volume 1: Abenaki-English; Volume 2:
English-Abenaki (Gordon M. Day), ANTHONY P. GRANT

Delaware-English/English-Delaware Dictionary (John O'Meara),
DAVID J. COSTA

Lengua Maka: Estudio descriptivo (Ana Gerzenstein), LUCIA
A. GOLLUSCIO

The Voices of Eden: A History of Hawaiian Language Studies
(Albert J.  Schutz), JACK H. WARD

Language, Religion, and Ethnic Assertiveness: The Growth of
Sinhalese Nationalism in Sri Lanka (K. N. O. Dharmadasa), ARJUN
GUNERATNE

Modality, Mood, and Aspect in Spoken Arabic, with Special
Reference to Egypt and the Levant (T. F. Mitchell and
S. A. El-Hassan), JOHN C. EISELE

Die Shinassha-Sprache: Materialien zum Boro (Marcello Lamberti),
CATHERINE GRIEFENOW-MEWIS

Materialien zum Yemsa (Marcello Lamberti), CATHERINE
GRIEFENOW-MEWIS

The Mystery of Culture Contacts, Historical Reconstruction, and
Text Analysis: An Emic Approach (Kenneth Pike, Gary F. Simons,
Carol V.  McKinney, and Donald A. Burquest. Kurt R. Jankowsky,
editor), DAVID K. BEINE

                                  *******
Annual subscription rates (for 4 issues): $30 for
U.S. individuals; $38 for non-U.S. individuals; $45 for
U.S. institutions; $55 for non-U.S.  institutions. Payment should
be in U.S. funds by check or postal money order made payable to
_Anthropological Linguistics_. Visa and MasterCard are also
accepted.

Subscriptions and inquires should be sent to: Anthropological
Linguistics, Student Building 130(C), Indiana University,
Bloomington, IN 47405 USA; fax: (812) 855-7529; e-mail:
<anthling at indiana.edu>. For abstracts and more information, visit
our website at: <http://www.indiana.edu/~anthling>.

We publish the tables of contents of current journal issues and working
papers if they are of reasonable length; and we maintain journal backlists
on our listserv.  Our resources, however, do not allow us to post the tables
of contents of books.

Available journal backlists include:
	LI lst       (Linguistic Inquiry)
	compling lst (Computational Linguistics)
        NALA lst     (Natural Language and Linguistic Theory)
        CAHIERS LST  (Les Cahiers de Grammaire)
	AIReview lst (Artificial Intelligence Review)

To retrieve a backlist, send the message:
    get <listname> linguist                      Ex:  get LI lst linguist
    listserv at tamvm1.tamu.edu