8.450, Sum: CD-ROM

linguist at linguistlist.org linguist at linguistlist.org
Wed Apr 2 15:32:15 UTC 1997

LINGUIST List:  Vol-8-450. Wed Apr 2 1997. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 8.450, Sum: CD-ROM

                   Ann Dizdar <ann at linguistlist.org>
Technical Editor:  Ron Reck <ron at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Ann Dizdar <ann at linguistlist.org>

Date:  	Fri, 28 Mar 1997 19:53:50 -0600
From:  Peter Daniels <pdaniels at press-gopher.uchicago.edu>
Subject:  CD-ROM summary

Date:  	Fri, 28 Mar 1997 19:53:50 -0600
From:  Peter Daniels <pdaniels at press-gopher.uchicago.edu>

In LINGUIST List 8.381 I inquired about bilingual dictionaries on
CD-ROM for Macintosh. Aside from the people who asked to share
whatever information I received, the following responses came (I've
condensed a couple of con- versations slightly.) Apparently there is
nothing available like the "Languages of the World" CD-ROM that was
distributed years ago.

From:	reigharj at alpes-net.fr (John Reighard)

Subject: CD Rom dictionaries

Greetings,

I remember seeing ads for CDRom dictionaries from Larousse, Robert and
Hachette, and I believe you can find the equivalent of Le Petit
Larousse and Le Petit Robert, as well as smaller and larger versions.
(I once used a disk version of what must have been a very small pocket
edition of the Larousse but it was so bad I threw it away.)

Unfortunately I can't locate those ads at the moment, but a fairly
large supplier I know of here is

        VPC Shopping
        5, rue Emile Augier
        38000 Grenoble
        tel: 04 76 86 68 38 (leave off the first zero when calling
from abroad)
        fax: 04 76 85 02 57

Another big French supplier:

        Computer Bench
        Apple Center
        13, R. A. Croizat
        94814 Villejuif Cedex
        tel: 01 49 58 11 00
        fax: 01 46 78 19 11

The editors of SVM Macintosh (fivrier 1997, page 47) mentioned the
following among their "coups de coeur":

        Larousse Multimidia Encyclopidique (Liris interactive)
        Atlas Hachette Multimidia (Hachette)
        Encyclopidie du corps humain (Liris interactive)
        Dictionnaire Visuel et Interactif (Havas Edition Electronique)

I know there is also a CDRom encyclopedia put out by Grolier, and the
Encyclopaedia Universalis is also out on CDRom, at about the same
price as the printed edition.  The Universalis claims to offer ten
times more information than any other encyclopedia on CDRom, but I
heard somewhere that they didn't include the pictures!

There is also a service on the Minitel:

        3617 CDROM

which claims to hold large stocks of CDRoms.  I haven't tried them so
I don't know what they're worth.  I believe the French Minitel service
is available on the Web.

Of course there are also the dictionaries and synonym dictionaries
included in the French versions of editors like Word, Word Perfect,
Nisus, and so forth, but they are much more limited.

Hope this helps.  Happy hunting!

John Reighard                           Address in France
Departement de linguistique             (until 1 July 1997) :
   et de traduction                     36, avenue Felix Viallet
Universite de Montreal                  38000 Grenoble
CP 6128, Succ. Centre-ville             France
Montreal, Quebec H3C 3J7                tel/fax :       (0)4 76 85 42 92
Canada
tel :   514 343 5975
fax :   514 343 2284

                e-mail: reigharj at ere.umontreal.ca
                        reigharj at alpes-net.fr

From: James E Copeland <copelan at ruf.rice.edu>
Subject: Re: 8.381, Qs: CD-ROM dictionary

Peter, Have you tried the web dictionaries. They're numerous and
simple to access - and free. Try

  http://www.bucknell.edu/~rbeard/diction.html

for a starter, otherwise search for dictionaries, French language,
etc. etc.

Jim Copeland.

From:	nroberts at hawaii.edu (Norman Roberts)
Subject: re CD-ROM dictionaries

As a last resort you might try SOFT WINDOWS ver. 2 or 3.  This program
puts MS-DOS in your Mac at the cost of 16+ megabytes of RAM and 30+
megabytes of hard disk space.  But it works [most of the time].
Version 3 probably works better than Version 2 (which I'm currently
using).  The Mac market is misperceived by many publishers and s lot
of good products simply aren't available to Mac users.

You'd need enough RAM for both Soft Windows and the Mac OS, probably
24 megabytes or more.

Check with your Educational Media Center (or whatever it's called).
These folks are usually very helpful.

There's no cheap solution for what you want to do.  It's unlikely that
there is a MAC version of the dictionary you have.  The only other
solution is a $700+ DOS/Windows card that you plug into one of the
slots.  These put a DOS machine in your MAC, have their own memory,
and allow you to switch between platforms with ease.

From:	Philippe ALCOUFFE <PALCOUF at hachette-livre.fr>
Subject: CD ROM dictionnaries

Hello,

We (Hachette Livre) do publish two reference CD ROMs that might be of
some help that are :

 Dictionnaire Hachette Mutimedia : a monolingual french "dictionnaire
encyclopedique" (a typically french notion) with sounds, video, maps,
animation and such - 490 FF

 Hachette Oxford : the infamous bilingual dictionary currently on PC, soon
to be on Mac. It can be called on for loourchased thru

 Software World
  920-A6 Houston Northcutt Blvd
  Mount Pleasant
  SC 29 464 USA

 There is an internet site :

       www.internetx.net/~sofworld

 an email :

      sofworld at internetx.net

 a toll free number :

      888 338 9675

 a not toll free number :

     803 884 0230

 the price is for ACADEMICS and STUDENTS : 70$ for the bilingual and
85$ for the monolingual
 It can be ordered thru phone with credit card and takes 24h to get

Enjoy ... and if you decide to go for it, tell me what you think of it

Ph Alcouffe

From:	Olivier Laurens <laurens at cs.sfu.ca>

I just saw your question about CD-ROM dictionaries on the Linguist
list. Well, this might not be much, but you could try "le monde en
tique", a French bookshop that specializes in computing:

      http://www.lmet.fr/

I haven't managed to find where the CD-ROM dictionnaries are hidden in
their index of products, but they should answer e-mail requests as
well (lmet at lmet.fr).

Hope this helps

O. Laurens

Olivier Laurens                 Natural Language Lab
Research Associate              School of Computing Science
Tel: +1 (604) 291-3208          Simon Fraser University
Fax: +1 (604) 291-3045          Burnaby, BC, Canada V5A 1S6
email: laurens at cs.sfu.ca