8.1132, Qs: Ask-A-Linguist Query, Adjectives

linguist at linguistlist.org linguist at linguistlist.org
Mon Aug 4 01:29:30 UTC 1997

LINGUIST List:  Vol-8-1132. Sun Aug 3 1997. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 8.1132, Qs: Ask-A-Linguist Query, Adjectives

                   Ann Dizdar <ann at linguistlist.org>
Assistant Editor:  Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Sun, 3 Aug 1997 11:01:11 -0400 (EDT)
From:  Theriault Alain <theriaal at ERE.UMontreal.CA>
Subject:  Qs: A question from ASK-A-LINGUIST

2)
Date:  Sun, 03 Aug 97 18:42:28 0700
From:  "Charles J. Fillmore" <fillmore at COGSCI.Berkeley.EDU>
Subject:  terminology question: adjectives

Date:  Sun, 3 Aug 1997 11:01:11 -0400 (EDT)
From:  Theriault Alain <theriaal at ERE.UMontreal.CA>

Hi there!

        I am sure you all know about the marvelous service that
"ASK-A-LINGUIST" offers to the public. We received the following
request on July 14 and until last night,there was no answer to it:

From: Anja Platz-Schliebs,M.A. <aplatz at uni-wuppertal.de>

I'm searching for the French translation of the linguistic term
'hedges' (in German 'Heckenausdruecke'). Thank you very much in
advance!

Though I have a good idea of what it is about, I have no idea what the
corresponding French expression would be. I would be very greatfull to
you all if you could answer to Anja Platz-Schliebs and to me. I will
post a summary of the answers I get.

Thanks to you all!

Alain Theriault                              |
Etudiant au doctorat                         | Vegetarians eat vegetables;
Departement de linguistique et traduction    | Beware of humanitarians!
Universite de Montreal                       |
theriaal at ere.umontreal.ca                    |