8.1155, Qs: Conjunctions, NLP Tools, Holocaust

linguist at linguistlist.org linguist at linguistlist.org
Fri Aug 8 00:52:07 UTC 1997

LINGUIST List:  Vol-8-1155. Thu Aug 7 1997. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 8.1155, Qs: Conjunctions, NLP Tools, Holocaust

                   Ann Dizdar <ann at linguistlist.org>
Assistant Editor:  Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Thu, 07 Aug 1997 11:45:21 -0700
From:  Ken Litkowski <ken at clres.com>
Subject:  Analysis of subordinating conjunctions

2)
Date:  Fri, 8 Aug 1997 00:53:39 +0900 (JST)
From:  iram at tantalus.tutkie.tut.ac.jp (Iram Shahzad)
Subject:  dictionary for developing NLP tools

3)
Date:  Thu, 7 Aug 1997 15:48:35 -0400 (EDT)
From:  ALF91 at aol.com
Subject:  re: Dehumanizing Language and the Holocaust

Date:  Thu, 07 Aug 1997 11:45:21 -0700
From:  Ken Litkowski <ken at clres.com>

I am performing a "definitive" analysis of the meanings of
subordinating conjunctions and would be interested in linking up with
anyone who has focused on their representation in NLP systems.  I am
performing an analysis of subordinating conjunction definitions in
Webster's 3rd International Dictionary, modeling these definitions
using the theory of labeled directed graphs (digraphs), using
principles for identifying primitives I have previously described (see
Litkowski, K. C. (1988). On the search for semantic
primitives. Computational Linguistics, 14(1), 52 for an overview).

The "meaning" of subordinating conjunctions essentially consists of
labeling clauses and establishing discourse relationships of time,
contingency, place, condition, concession, contrast, reason, purpose,
and result (see Quirk et al. pp. 1070-1112).  I am aware that
subordinating conjunctions are used as cue words in discourse
processing, but I am not aware of any systematic bringing together of
these "meanings" in a computational system.  Characterizing these
meanings is important in the digraph analysis, and while I can do it
myself, it would be preferable not to reinvent the wheel.  I would be
grateful if anyone can point to computational representations of these
meanings.

A database of these "meanings" will eventually be made publicly
available on the web for anyone to use.

Thanks,

-
Ken Litkowski                         TEL.: 301-926-5904
CL Research                           EMAIL: ken at clres.com
20239 Lea Pond Place
Gaithersburg, MD 20879-1270 USA       Home Page: http://www.clres.com