8.1183, Qs: Trans, H. Pedersen, V2, Bib, French

The LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Fri Aug 15 01:46:10 UTC 1997

LINGUIST List:  Vol-8-1183. Thu Aug 14 1997. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 8.1183, Qs: Trans, H. Pedersen, V2, Bib, French

                   Ann Dizdar <ann at linguistlist.org>
Assistant Editor:  Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Wed, 13 Aug 1997 09:39:54 -0800
From:  goya at uvic.ca (Michael Chase)
Subject:  Translation theory

2)
Date:  Wed, 13 Aug 1997 20:31:12 +0000
From:  "Patrick C. Ryan" <PROTO-LANGUAGE at WorldNet.att.net>
Subject:  HOLGER PEDERSEN

3)
Date:  Thu, 14 Aug 1997 14:31:44 -0400 (EDT)
From:  decaen at chass.utoronto.ca (Vincent DeCaen)
Subject:  V2

4)
Date:  Thu, 14 Aug 1997 22:28:28 +0100
From:  Filomena Capucho <fcapucho at crb.ucp.pt>
Subject:  Bibliography problems

5)
Date:  Mon, 11 Aug 1997 12:38:22 +0200
From:  Roentgen at Uni-Koeln.DE (Karl-Heinz =?iso-8859-1?Q?R=F6ntgen?= )
Subject:  Qs.: French imperative construction

Date:  Wed, 13 Aug 1997 09:39:54 -0800
From:  goya at uvic.ca (Michael Chase)

Dear LINGUISTS:

        In my work as a translator from French and Ancient Greek into
English, I always try, insofar as is possible, to render different
French and Greek words by different English words; in other words,
once I translate *logos* by 'definition', then I will always render
*logos* by 'definition' (if I deviate from this practice I will add a
footnote, or the Greek original in transliteration) - and I will never
translate any other Greek word by 'definition'. What guides this
practice is my belief that the Greekless or Frenchless reader ought to
be able to tell when the original author used what terms, and where.

        Many of my colleagues don't seem to think this is important;
what's the view of the Listmembers?

        Cheers,

        Michael Chase
        (goya at uvic.ca)