8.1235, Sum: Subordinating Conjuctions, LS- LZ-

The LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Thu Aug 28 04:51:47 UTC 1997

LINGUIST List:  Vol-8-1235. Thu Aug 28 1997. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 8.1235, Sum: Subordinating Conjuctions, LS- LZ-

                   Ann Dizdar <ann at linguistlist.org>
Assistant Editor:  Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Wed, 27 Aug 1997 11:22:21 -0700
From:  Ken Litkowski <ken at clres.com>
Subject:  Summary: Subordinating Conjunctions

2)
Date:  Wed, 27 Aug 1997 15:22:46 -0400 (EDT)
From:  vmair at sas.upenn.edu (Victor Mair)
Subject:  reply to respondents on LS-, LZ-

Date:  Wed, 27 Aug 1997 11:22:21 -0700
From:  Ken Litkowski <ken at clres.com>

I provide a summary of responses to a request made on LINGUIST,
CORPORA, and E-LEX for information on subordinating conjunctions.
First, I repeat the call, then summarize.

***Call***

"I am performing a "definitive" analysis of the meanings of
subordinating conjunctions and would be interested in linking up with
anyone who has focused on their representation in NLP systems.  I am
performing an analysis of subordinating conjunction definitions in
Webster's 3rd International Dictionary, modeling these definitions
using the theory of labeled directed graphs (digraphs), using
principles for identifying primitives I have previously described (see
Litkowski, K. C. (1988). On the search for semantic
primitives. Computational Linguistics, 14(1), 52 for an overview).

The "meaning" of subordinating conjunctions essentially consists of
labeling clauses and establishing discourse relationships of time,
contingency, place, condition, concession, contrast, reason, purpose,
and result (see Quirk et al. pp. 1070-1112).  I am aware that
subordinating conjunctions are used as cue words in discourse
processing, but I am not aware of any systematic bringing together of
these "meanings" in a computational system.  Characterizing these
meanings is important in the digraph analysis, and while I can do it
myself, it would be preferable not to reinvent the wheel.  I would be
grateful if anyone can point to computational representations of these
meanings.

A database of these "meanings" will eventually be made publicly
available on the web for anyone to use."

Many respondents noted correctly that another term which subsumes
subordinating conjunctions (SCs) is "discourse markers," for which
there is a substantial literature.  Megan Duque-Estrada has a very
extensive bibliography of this literature available on the web at
http://www.ufpa.br/~megan.  This literature provides substantial
information pertinent to my request.

More specific information going to the heart of my request for
features and semantic labels associated with SCs was provided by Alex
Eulenberg, Ken Barker, and Alistair Knott.  Mary Dee Harris provided
the link to Ali's work; I am very grateful for this link.

Alistair Knott (http://www.cogsci.ed.ac.uk/~alik/publications.html,
particularly "A Data-Driven Method for Classifying Connective
Phrases") and Alex Eulenberg (http://php.indiana.edu/~aeulenbe/,
providing features for additive conjunctive sentence adverbials)
provide an identification of features associated with comprehensive
lists of "cue phrases" (that go beyond the smaller set of SCs).  The
feature names include MODAL STATUS, POLARITY, FOCUS OF POLARITY,
PRESUPPOSITIONALITY, SOURCE OF COHERENCE, ANCHOR, PATTERN OF
INSTANTIATION, and RULE TYPE.

Ken Barker (http://www.csi.uottawa.ca/~kbarker/, particularly
"Interactive semantic analysis of clause-level relationships, CLRs)
provides an identification of semantic labels assigned to clauses
based on CLR markers or clausal connectives.  The semantic
relationships include CAUSAL (CAUSATION, ENABLEMENT, ENTAILMENT,
PREVENTION, DETRACTION), TEMPORAL (CO-OCCURRENCE, PRECEDENCE), and
CONJUNCTIVE (CONJUNCTION, DISJUNCTION).

These two sets of information respond precisely to my needs and are
quite useful in their own right.

Another respondent (who prefers to remain anonymous), who has
investigated diachronic processes (including SCs in German), noted a
possibly very interesting point that Old High German had no
Complementizer Phrases, so that "das" evolved into "dass".  This
person also cited work describing subordinating conjunctions with
prepositions (like: bevor, nachdem, indem) having a descriptive part
(-vor-, nach-) and a referential part (expressed by the d-words or the
w-words), including pairs like "nachdem -wonach", "dadurch dass -
wodurch", and "damit - womit".  There is thus the suggestion (to me,
at least) that the use of subordinating conjunctions over time might
reflect an evolutionary process of reasoning where particular feature
values and semantic relationships have become lexicalized.  The
characterization of feature values and semantic relationships by
Knott, Eulenberg, and Barker may facilitate this type of diachronic
analysis.

When I complete the first phase of my research (the initial digraph
analysis), I will provide notification of its availability.  Then,
when I fully incorporate the analysis of features and semantic
relationships, I will post the data on the ACL SIGLEX Lexical
Resources page (http://www.clres.com/siglex.html).

I thank everyone who responded and hope that this summary responds to
those who asked to be kept informed of my findings.

Ken

-
Ken Litkowski                         TEL.: 301-926-5904
CL Research                           EMAIL: ken at clres.com
20239 Lea Pond Place
Gaithersburg, MD 20879-1270 USA       Home Page: http://www.clres.com