8.1720, Qs: Language and Gender, Creoles, Japanese, Ebonics

The LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Mon Dec 1 00:43:26 UTC 1997

LINGUIST List:  Vol-8-1720. Mon Dec 1 1997. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 8.1720, Qs: Language and Gender, Creoles, Japanese, Ebonics

Associate Editor: Ljuba Veselinova <ljuba at linguistlist.org>

Assistant Editors:  Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>
                    Anita Huang <anita at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Sat, 29 Nov 1997 07:46:17 +0000
From:  "Hadumod Bussmann" <Hadumod.Bussmann at lrz.uni-muenchen.de>
Subject:  Language and gender

2)
Date:  Sat, 29 Nov 1997 13:38:09 +0000 (GMT)
From:  "Martin Wynne" <eiamjw at comp.lancs.ac.uk>
Subject:  Panamanian creoles

3)
Date:  Sun, 30 Nov 1997 09:04:50 -0800 (PST)
From:  Natasha Lynn Warner <nwarner at uclink.berkeley.edu>
Subject:  Japanese online dictionary

4)
Date:  Sun, 30 Nov 1997 15:38:11 -0800
From:  Valencia Young <valencia.young at snet.net>
Subject:  Ebonics

Date:  Sat, 29 Nov 1997 07:46:17 +0000
From:  "Hadumod Bussmann" <Hadumod.Bussmann at lrz.uni-muenchen.de>

Marlis Hellinger and Hadumod Bussmann (eds)

The de/construction of gender roles through language variation and
change: International perspectives

Since the establishment of feminist linguistics more than two decades
ago a wealth of theoretical and empirical information has become
available and we believe it is time for a collection that looks across
individual language boundaries. We are therefore compiling a volume on
the structural and functional aspects of gender-related variation and
change in different languages. We are primarily concerned with
structural properties of a language (categories of gender,
word-formation, prominalization) and speaker's linguistic choices in
talking about or as women and men. We are also interested in learning
about the tendencies of variation and change (including, where
applicable, language politics) as these reflect changes in the
relationship between the sexes. So far we have final acceptances
already for 20 languages, including Finnish, Welsh, Czech, Turkish,
and Korean. But we are still looking for contributions on ARABIC,
RUMANIAN, HUNGARIAN, GREEK, CHINESE and VIETNAMESE. Would anyone be
interested in participating? Or could someone suggest potential
authors to us? Details on the project would then be made available.
Hadumod Bussmann (Hadumod.Bussmann at lrz.uni-muenchen.de) Marlis
Hellinger (Hellinger at em.uni-francfurt.de)