8.1726, Qs: Lang Analysis/Corpus Size,Gender,Speech/Hearing

The LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Mon Dec 1 22:52:42 UTC 1997

LINGUIST List:  Vol-8-1726. Mon Dec 1 1997. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 8.1726, Qs: Lang Analysis/Corpus Size,Gender,Speech/Hearing

Associate Editor: Ljuba Veselinova <ljuba at linguistlist.org>

Assistant Editors:  Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>
                    Anita Huang <anita at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Anita Huang <anita at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Tue, 25 Nov 1997 21:05:57 -0800
From:  "David W. Smith" <d.w.smith at bath.ac.uk>
Subject:  Language Analysis and Corpus Size

2)
Date:  Mon, 1 Dec 1997 13:36:34 +0100 (MET)
From:  Gerhard Leitner <leiger at mail.zedat.fu-berlin.de>
Subject:  Language, Gender, Sexuality

3)
Date:  Tue, 2 Dec 1997 10:04:30 +0800
From:  Charles C-J Lin <charlesl at hp.iis.sinica.edu.tw>
Subject:  Speech & Hearing Science Resources

Date:  Tue, 25 Nov 1997 21:05:57 -0800
From:  "David W. Smith" <d.w.smith at bath.ac.uk>

Would anyone like to give their thoughts on the following issue I am
grappling with at the moment? One critique of quantitative/
computer-assisted analysis of language or texts is that this method
produces results by breaking down the material into chunks, thus
resulting in a split between form and meaning. Is it possible to meet
this criticism through the analysis of a sufficiently large text corpus?
This is a central aspect of what I am grappling with. What is a 'large
enough' text size or corpus? How large does the text or corpus have to
be before you can confidently address the matter of meaning?

Thanks for any help.

regards

David Smith

Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences
University of Bath
Bath
England BA2 6EB

e-mail: d.w.smith at bath.ac.uk