8.1733, Qs: Language is Power,Coarticulation,Corpora,Debate

The LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Wed Dec 3 21:52:03 UTC 1997

LINGUIST List:  Vol-8-1733. Wed Dec 3 1997. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 8.1733, Qs: Language is Power,Coarticulation,Corpora,Debate

Associate Editor: Ljuba Veselinova <ljuba at linguistlist.org>

Assistant Editors:  Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>
                    Anita Huang <anita at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Mon, 1 Dec 1997 11:38:16 GMT0BST
From:  "Alan Smith" <Alan.Smith at newcastle.ac.uk>
Subject:  _Language is Power_

2)
Date:  Tue, 02 Dec 1997 08:46:16 +0000
From:  Martin J Ball <mj.ball at ulst.ac.uk>
Subject:  Coarticulation

3)
Date:  Tue, 2 Dec 1997 15:30:04 +0100
From:  rochdi at eric.u-strasbg.fr (rochdi at eric.u-strasbg.fr)
Subject:  Acquisition or Extraction /from Corpora

4)
Date:  Wed, 3 Dec 1997 08:55:09 +0800
From:  Charles C-J Lin <charlesl at hp.iis.sinica.edu.tw>
Subject:  Debating

Date:  Mon, 1 Dec 1997 11:38:16 GMT0BST
From:  "Alan Smith" <Alan.Smith at newcastle.ac.uk>

I am interested in the relationship between standard and non-standard
languages as one of the central themes of my Ph.D.  research.  I would
be very grateful to hear the comments of anyone who has read the book
"Language is Power" by John Honey, whether favourable or unfavourable.
Essentially Honey charges professional linguists, especially
sociolinguists, with the disparagement of standard English as a "class
dialect", and holds linguists responsible for the decline of formal
grammar teaching in British and American schools leading, in his view,
to a serious shortfall in literacy skills among school pupils.

I wish to point out that I am trying to gauge the general reaction of
linguists to this book; I will not associate names with any opinions
expressed to me when I post my summary.  Since I am asking for your
views on "Language is Power", it is only fair to give you mine.  There
is much terminological vagueness in the book regarding the definition
of "standard English", the "functional efficiency" of languages, the
difference between spoken and written norms, and the difference
between a language's system and its use.  I also find the evidence
furnished by Professor Honey in support of the view that
sociolinguists are responsible for the decline of formal grammar
teaching rather unconvincing.  The fact that this decline coincided
with the rise of sociolinguistics as a discipline in the 1960s does
not prove anything.

However, I do agree that students suffer educational disadvantage when
they have not been taught how their language works.  This is all too
evident on observing the ignorance of sentence construction and
meta-language among students arriving at university.  Professor Honey
makes a strong case for the rehabilitation of formal grammar teaching
in the school curriculum but unfortunately his arguments are marred by
the unproven assertion that professional linguists, by insisting on
the principle of linguistic equality, are implicated in a kind of
conspiracy to deprive children of a chance to advance themselves
through knowledge of standard English.

I would also be interested to hear from anyone who knows of any
reviews that have appeared on this book.

Many thanks.

Alan Smith,
School of Modern Languages, Dept of French
University of Newcastle upon Tyne
NE1 7RU
U.K. E-mail: alan.smith at ncl.ac.uk
Fax: (0191)2225442