8.1735, Qs: Blends, Aphasic Speech, VOS Langs, Ethnobiology

The LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Thu Dec 4 02:46:11 UTC 1997

LINGUIST List:  Vol-8-1735. Thu Dec 4 1997. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 8.1735, Qs: Blends, Aphasic Speech, VOS Langs, Ethnobiology

Associate Editor: Ljuba Veselinova <ljuba at linguistlist.org>

Assistant Editors:  Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>
                    Anita Huang <anita at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Tue, 2 Dec 1997 11:38:05 +0200 (WET)
From:  Amalia Arvaniti <amalia at zeus.cc.ucy.ac.cy>
Subject:  Research on Blends / Blends in Greek

2)
Date:  Tue, 02 Dec 97 15:48:53 -0500
From:  "Nicole Rosen" <nicole.rosen at utoronto.ca>
Subject:  Aphasic Speech

3)
Date:  Wed, 3 Dec 1997 10:51:11 -0500 (EST)
From:  "Daniel L. Everett" <dever at verb.linguist.pitt.edu>
Subject:  VOS Languages

4)
Date:  Thu, 4 Dec 1997 05:52:48 +0900
From:  Jon Clenton <dclenton at avnet.co.uk>
Subject:  Regarding Ethnobiological Classification

Date:  Tue, 2 Dec 1997 11:38:05 +0200 (WET)
From:  Amalia Arvaniti <amalia at zeus.cc.ucy.ac.cy>

I am doing research on the phonological structure of blends in Greek
and would appreciate information on the following two issues.

A. I am trying to gather as many examples of blends in Greek as
possible, and would be grateful if Greek speaking linguists would send
me any such blends they happen to know. The blends I have in mind are
jokes that came out about 18 months ago or so and took the following
form:
Q: "what miaows and lives in a pond?"
A: [o gatraxos] (where [g] stands for a voiced velar fricative) [the
English equivalent would be the "crog" or the "frat"].

I am interested in the phonological form of the blends (not, say,
their semantics) so supplying me with just the blend and not the
accompanying question is sufficient.

B. In addition, I would like to find more about the existing
literature on blends. I am interested in papers that deal with the
phonology of blends in other languages (I am aware of Kubozonoas,
Pierrehumbertas and Bat-Elas work on Japanese & English, English and
Hebrew respectively). In addition, I am particularly interested in
finding out about research relating to the perception of blends and
compounds. Any information on this topic will be most appreciated.

Thanking all respondents in advance

Amalia Arvaniti (Asst.Prof.)
Department of Foreign Languages and Literatures
University of Cyprus