8.1744, Books: Syntax-UCI Working Papers

The LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Fri Dec 5 12:08:23 UTC 1997

LINGUIST List:  Vol-8-1744. Fri Dec 5 1997. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 8.1744, Books: Syntax-UCI Working Papers

Associate Editor: Ljuba Veselinova <ljuba at linguistlist.org>

Assistant Editors:  Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>
                    Anita Huang <anita at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Anita Huang <anita at linguistlist.org>

Links to the websites of all LINGUIST's supporting publishers are
available at the end of this issue.

Date:  Mon, 1 Dec 1997 08:46:00 -0800 (PST)
From:  Irvine Linguistics Students Association <ilsa at orion.oac.uci.edu>
Subject:  NEW UCI Dissertations in Linguistics

Date:  Mon, 1 Dec 1997 08:46:00 -0800 (PST)
From:  Irvine Linguistics Students Association <ilsa at orion.oac.uci.edu>

Irvine Linguistics Students Association is pleased to announce the
publication of the following two UCI Dissertations in Linguistics.

		    :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

 An Asymmetry in the Composition of Phrase Structure and its Consequences

                                Toru Ishii
                   University of California, Irvine 1997

	This dissertation proposes a new system of the composition of
phrase structure in which there is an asymmetry with respect to merger. In
the system proposed here, the terms required by uninterpretable formal
features (UFFs) are merged cyclically while those not required by any UFFS
are merged postcyclically. This asymmetry arises from the need for
satisfaction of the Immediate Checking Principle (ICP) on UFFs and the
Earliness Principles (EP) on Select. These two principles, being
language-specific computational devices, are conceptually attractive in
contributing to the reduction of fundamental globality in the theory of
language.
	The proposed system of phrase structure receives strong support
from a wide range of empirical facts. First, it accounts for locality
restrictions on movement, specifically the "domain barrier" effects and
the ban against extraction out of moved phrases, which have not been given
any principled minimalist account. The salient property of our
phrase-structural locality theory is that locality conditions do not
follow from restrictions on movement but from restrictions on merger.
Second, it gives an account of an asymmetry between feature-driven and
non-feature-driven movement regarding the existence of locality condition
effects. Third, it accounts for hitherto unexplained asymmetries
concerning the distribution of wh-elements in-situ in English-type and
Japanese-type languages. Fourth, it explains reconstruction effects with
Condition C of the binding theory, variable binding, and the
interpretation of each other, given that binding relations are established
at LF.
	The empirical arguments of this dissertation constitute evidence
in favor of the view that language is essentially derivational in
character rather than in the representational mode. This dissertation also
lends supports to the language design that language is fundamentally
global but there are language-specific computational devices which reduces
its fundamental globality to local properties, facilitating its usability
in practice.

                Deriving Distributivity in Mandarin Chinese

                               Xiaoguang Li
                  University of California, Irvine, 1997

        It is argued in this thesis that the syntactic notion of tense is
correlated with distributivity. Empirical evidence suggests that a
distributive reading is positively related to tense. If a language
possesses tense markings, then a distributive reading of a preverbal NP is
available even in the absence of an overt distributive marker. It is
proposed that tense, incorporated in the inflectional head Io, constitutes
a driving force for V-to-I movement, which provides a "free ride" for the
distributivity projection (DistP). DistP, which lies between VP and IP, is
available in English since there is a covert V-to-I movement (Chomsky
1991). Chinese, on the other hand, does not have DistP because there is no
V-to-I movement either overtly or covertly. The lack of V-to-I movement
correlates with the fact that there is no tense in I0. As a result, a
distributive reading is not available in Chinese.
        Consideration of an early stage of Chinese lends supports to the
analysis. Early Mandarin differs from Modern Mandarin with respect to
distributivity. In Early Mandarin, a distributive reading is obtainable in
the absence of the distributive marker dou. It is argued that in Early
Mandarin DistP is available because there is a covert V-to-I movement.
Such a V-to-I movement is driven by tense in I0. Ample evidence is
employed to show that there are tense markings in Early Mandarin.
        To derive a distributive reading of a preverbal NP in Chinese, an
overt distributive element like dou must be used. It is suggested that dou
instantiates the distributive projection by occupying the head position of
DistP.
        It is also argued that dou has undergone a process of
grammaticalization. It started as a verb, a full lexical item. Then it
became more functional, eventually ending up being the head of DistP.

Also available:
> UCI Dissertations in Linguistics

Griffith, Teresa A.     1996 Projecting Transitivity and Agreement
Ikawa, Hajime		1996 Overt Movement as a Reflex of Morphology
Takano, Yuji            1996 Movement and Parametric Variation in Syntax
Zoerner, Cyril Edward   1995 Coordination: The Syntax of &P

US$14 each, plus shipping and handling

> UCI Working Papers in Linguistics, Volume 3 (1997). Edited by Luther
> Chen-Sheng Liu and Kazue Takeda

Articles appearing in the third volume are:
Brian Agbayani: Category Raising, Adjunction, and Minimality
Lisa Lai-Shen Cheng: "Partial" Wh-Movement
Naoki Fukui: Attract and the A-over-A Principle
Toru Ishii: The " Crossing" Constraint and the Minimal Link Condition
Luther Chen-Sheng Liu: Light Verb and Accusative-ing Gerund in Taiwanese
Yuji Takano: Scrambling and Partial Object Shift
Kazue Takeda: A Note on Locality of Category Movement and Feature Movement
Sze-Wing Tang: The Parametric Approach to the Resultative Construction in
	Chinese and English
Miyoko Yashui: Identification of Ellipses and Other Empty Categories

US$14 , plus shipping and handling

> UCI Working Papers in Linguistics, Volume 2: Proceedings of the South
> Western Optimality Theory Workshop (SWOT II). Edited by Brian Agbayani
> and Naomi Harada

US $12, plus shipping and handling

> UCI Working Papers in Linguistics, Volume 1. Edited by Brian Agbayani,
> Kazue Takeda and Sze-Wing Tang

US$12, plus shipping and handling

Shipping and handling (per item)
Domestic: $4; Canada: $6; Mexico: $7 (airmail), $5 (surface);
Elsewhere: $12 (airmail), $7 (surface)

* International shipping and handling rates are subject to the numbers of
items ordered and location.  Please contact <ilsa at orion.oac.uci.edu> in
ordering more than one item from abroad.

PREPAYMENT REQUIRED. Please make checks or money orders payable to
'ILSA-ASUCI'. We cannot accept credit card payment. Payment must be in US
funds, drawn on a US bank. Please allow 4-6 weeks for delivery. Send order
form and payment to:

Irvine Linguistics Students Association,
School of Social Sciences,
University of California, Irvine,
Irvine, CA 92697, U.S.A.

Please address inquires to ilsa at orion.oac.uci.edu

Order Form

Customer information
Name:
Street Address:
City, Province/State:
Country, Zip Code:
Telephone Number:
E-mail:

Item            Quantity        Price per item  Total
UCIWPL-2                        $12             $
UCIWPL-1                        $12             $
UCIWPL-3                        $14             $
Griffith                        $14             $
Ikawa				$14		$
Ishii				$14		$
Li				$14		$
Takano                          $14             $
Zoerner                         $14             $
                                Shipping:       $
                                Total:          $

For more information about UCI Working Papers in Linguistics and UCI
Dissertations in Linguistics, please contact <ilsa at orion.oac.uci.edu> or
see ILSA's homepage <http://www.socsci.uci.edu/ling/ilsa/ilsahp.html>.
Tables of contents of UCIWPL and abstracts of UCIDL are available in
ILSA's homepage.

Irvine Linguistics Students Association (ILSA)
School of Social Sciences
University of California, Irvine
Irvine, CA 92697-5100, U.S.A.
ilsa at orion.oac.uci.edu
http://www.socsci.uci.edu/ling/ilsa/ilsahp.html

            Publisher's backlists

The following contributing LINGUIST publishers have made their
backlists available on the World Wide Web:

Blackwells:
	http://linguistlist.org/pubs/blackwell.html
Cascadilla Press:
	http://www.cascadilla.com/
Cornell University Linguistics Dept:
	http://linguistlist.org/pubs/cornell.html
CSLI Publications:
	http://csli-www.stanford.edu/publications/
Holland Academic Graphics (HAG)
	http://www.hag.nl
Irvine Linguistics Students Association:
	http://www.socsci.uci.edu/ling/ilsa/ilsahp.html
John Benjamins:
	http://www.benjamins.nl
	OR
	http://www.benjamins.com
Kluwer Academic Publishers:
	http://kapis.www.wkap.nl/kapis/CGI-BIN/WORLD/hierarchy.htm?H+0+
	0+0+NOTHING+COMBINED
Lawrence Erlbaum:
	http://www.erlbaum.com/inform.htm
MIT Working papers in Linguistics:
	http://broca.mit.edu/mitwpl.web/WPLs.html
Mouton de Gruyter
	http://www.deGruyter.de
U. of Massachusetts Graduate Linguistics Association:
	http://linguistlist.org/pubs/glsa.html
Oxford UP
	http://www.oup.co.uk/
Pacific Linguistics: