8.1748, Disc: Disc: Re: 8.1657: Prescriptivism

The LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Fri Dec 5 22:14:08 UTC 1997

LINGUIST List:  Vol-8-1748. Fri Dec 5 1997. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 8.1748, Disc: Disc: Re: 8.1657: Prescriptivism

Associate Editor: Ljuba Veselinova <ljuba at linguistlist.org>

Assistant Editors:  Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>
                    Anita Huang <anita at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Mon, 1 Dec 1997 10:53:33 GMT0BST
From:  "Alan Smith" <Alan.Smith at newcastle.ac.uk>
Subject:  Disc: Re: 8.1657: Prescriptivism

2)
Date:  Thu, 4 Dec 1997 02:47:38 -0800 (PST)
From:  bwald at HUMnet.UCLA.EDU (bwald)

Date:  Mon, 1 Dec 1997 10:53:33 GMT0BST
From:  "Alan Smith" <Alan.Smith at newcastle.ac.uk>

I agree with Di Kilpert to the extent that there is a huge gap between
what linguists think and what the public thinks about language.
Non-linguists generally persist with their evaluative attitudes to
language despite their lack of rationality.  I also agree that when
linguists decide to describe rather than prescribe, they have already
in some way declared their adherence to certain cultural values that
differ from the mainstream.  In that sense, they are not being
absolutely objective.  But of course, there are degrees of
objectivity.

However, I think that the influence of professional linguists on
public attitudes should not be exagerrated.  In the discussion on
ebonics that took place on this list a few months ago, it was
noteworthy that numerous contributors bemoaned the fact that they
could do little to convince non-linguists that all language varieties
were essentially equal.

Also, it should not be forgotten that the principle of linguistic
equality is not new, although it has been particularly emphasized by
sociolinguists: the neo-grammarians of the last century were quite
contemptuous towards linguistic purists, whom they saw as an obstacle
to a proper scientific understanding of sound change.  Far from losing
public confidence, it seems likely that descriptive linguists never
really had it in the first place.

I agree that subjective attitudes to language have been seriously
neglected by linguists, probably because of the broad consensus on
linguistic equality.  Consequently linguists have been charged with
excessive liberalism and held responsible for the decline of literacy
skills in British and American schools for example.  At the same time
it is difficult to imagine on what other basis linguists could proceed
without becoming embroiled in bizarre debates on, say, the supposed
superiority of French over English because of the higher
abstractedness of French and hence its greater capacity for handling
ideas.  In addition, people who complain about the 'abuse' of the
language never seem to have any problems in gaining access to the
media, whereas the voice of reason struggles to be heard.

So, in brief, my answer to Di Kilpert is that I can't really agree
that linguists have damaged their public reputation, but their neglect
of subjective attitudes as a phenomenon worth studying in itself has
certainly not helped their cause. I also think that the abandonment of
the linguistic equality principle would be far too high a price to pay
to pay for the reconciliation of public and professional attitudes to
language.  I fear such an abandonment would take us back to the days
when people were "convicted of speaking their own language."

Alan Smith,
School of Modern Languages, Dept of French
University of Newcastle upon Tyne
NE1 7RU
U.K. E-mail: alan.smith at ncl.ac.uk
Fax: (0191)2225442