8.1753, Disc: Prescriptivism

The LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Sat Dec 6 16:52:04 UTC 1997

LINGUIST List:  Vol-8-1753. Sat Dec 6 1997. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 8.1753, Disc: Prescriptivism

Associate Editor: Ljuba Veselinova <ljuba at linguistlist.org>

Assistant Editors:  Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>
                    Anita Huang <anita at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Brett Churchill <brett at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Sat, 6 Dec 1997 04:52:29 -0500 (EST)
From:  Scott M Stirling <sms9 at acsu.buffalo.edu>
Subject:  Prescriptivism

2)
Date:  Fri, 5 Dec 1997 23:08:00 -0500 (EST)
From:  manaster at umich.edu

Date:  Sat, 6 Dec 1997 04:52:29 -0500 (EST)
From:  Scott M Stirling <sms9 at acsu.buffalo.edu>

	I think it should be pointed out that there is no linguistic or
otherwise scientific argument against prescriptivism.  Linguists tend to
make arguments from authority that presciptivism is bad or wrong, without
realizing that they are making an ethical or otherwise philsophical point.
While prescriptivists often misunderstand or are just ignorant of the
linguistic facts, linguists are just as ignorant about the types of value
judgements they make proscribing prescriptivism.  I think linguists should
face the fact that as scientists they have no more authority or reason to
claim that all languages must be treated equally than does a geneticist to
say that all people should be treated equally.  The realms of scientific
fact and social prescriptivism are quite different; linguists are just as
likely to misrepresent a social value as a scientific truth as are
prescriptivists.

Scott S.
Scott M. Stirling		phone:(716) 693-7157--home
PhD program			      (716) 645-2177 ext.719--office
Linguistics Dept.		fax:  (716) 645-3825
619 Baldy Hall
SUNY at Buffalo			email: sms9 at acsu.buffalo.edu
Buffalo NY 14260