8.1764, Disc: Prescriptivism

The LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Tue Dec 9 12:44:03 UTC 1997

LINGUIST List:  Vol-8-1764. Tue Dec 9 1997. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 8.1764, Disc: Prescriptivism

Associate Editor: Ljuba Veselinova <ljuba at linguistlist.org>

Assistant Editors:  Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>
                    Anita Huang <anita at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Elaine Halleck <elaine at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Mon, 08 Dec 1997 11:57:51 +0000
From:  Dick Hudson <dick at linguistics.ucl.ac.uk>
Subject:  prescriptivism

2)
Date:  Mon, 8 Dec 1997 08:32:41 -0600 (CST)
From:  "Thomas E. Payne" <tpayne at cariari.ucr.ac.cr>
Subject:  Re: 8.1753, Disc: Prescriptivism

3)
Date:  Mon, 8 Dec 1997 09:15:39 -0600
From:  goldberg at ukraine.corp.mot.com (Joseph Goldberg)

4)
Date:  Mon, 8 Dec 1997 14:55:17 -0800 (PST)
From:  bwald at HUMnet.UCLA.EDU (bwald)

Date:  Mon, 08 Dec 1997 11:57:51 +0000
From:  Dick Hudson <dick at linguistics.ucl.ac.uk>

I think both Alexis Manaster Ramer and Scott Stirling are missing a
fundamental point. Scott says:

  I think it should be pointed out that there is no linguistic or
  otherwise scientific argument against prescriptivism.

The most important argument against prescriptivism is simply that
descriptivism is possible - that it is possible to study language as it
actually is, rather than as we might wish it to be. Prescriptivism is pure
dogma, which can only exist in the absence of an alternative. It says that
infinitives should not be split, but gives no reason or evidence.
Descriptivists say that infinitives are split every day, and can produce
evidence by the lorry-load.

Saying that there's no linguistic or otherwise scientific argument against
prescriptivism is like saying there's no scientific argument against
alchemy. Once proper chemistry exists, alchemy is unnecessary. Of course
language is different from chemistry because any language is itself a set of
social prescriptions; but those prescriptions are facts, unlike the ones
invented by prescriptivists.

What's wrong with prescriptivism is that its supposed facts are just
inventions.

Scott also says:

    I think linguists should face the fact that as scientists they have no
more authority or reason to claim that all languages must be treated
equally than does a geneticist to say that all people should be treated
equally.

Linguists don't say that they should be treated equally. What we say is that
from the point of view of structure, they *are* equal. The jump to equality
of treatment is an ethical one, not based on science. But at least it's
based on true beliefs, which is not the case for the converse ethic of
prescriptivists.

Richard (=Dick) Hudson
Department of Phonetics and Linguistics,
University College London,
Gower Street,
London WC1E 6BT
work phone: +171 419 3152; work fax: +171 383 4108
email: dick at ling.ucl.ac.uk
web-sites:
  home page = http://www.phon.ucl.ac.uk/home/dick/home.htm
  unpublished papers available by ftp = ....uk/home/dick/papers.htm