8.1767, Qs: ESL, Taiwanese, Anaphora

The LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Wed Dec 10 01:24:57 UTC 1997

LINGUIST List:  Vol-8-1767. Wed Dec 10 1997. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 8.1767, Qs: ESL, Taiwanese, Anaphora

Associate Editor: Ljuba Veselinova <ljuba at linguistlist.org>

Assistant Editors:  Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>
                    Anita Huang <anita at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: James German <james at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Mon, 8 Dec 1997 21:57:18 -0500 (EST)
From:  "H Stephen Straight (Binghamton U/SUNY)" <sstraigh at binghamton.edu>
Subject:  ESL College-Level Vocabulary-Size Minima?

2)
Date:  Tue, 09 Dec 1997 13:04:26 +0800
From:  TONG MIU SIM MALINDY <97420128 at plink.cityu.edu.hk>
Subject:  Taiwanese (Min dialect)

3)
Date:  Tue, 09 Dec 1997 09:37:22 +0100
From:  Bart Geurts <geurts at hal.cl-ki.uni-osnabrueck.de>
Subject:  'and' and anaphora

Date:  Mon, 8 Dec 1997 21:57:18 -0500 (EST)
From:  "H Stephen Straight (Binghamton U/SUNY)" <sstraigh at binghamton.edu>

I am writing a chapter about English as a Second Language students in
"mainstream" classes at the university level -- observations from
content area faculty.  The ESL population includes both immigrant and
international undergraduates.  The literature I have found on this
topic includes numerous studies elucidating both the linguistic and
cultural difficulties encountered by such students even when they have
successfully completed a program of ESL study.  Surveys of faculty
members point to the same problems.  All studies indicate that
vocabulary development -- both general and discipline-specific -- is a
problem for ESL students.

I am wondering if there are any investigations involving adult and/or
college students which indicate just how large a vocabulary is needed
to succeed in college.  How big is the vocabulary of a "typical"
incoming freshman who is a native speaker of English and how large a
vocabulary in English does an ESL student need in order to compete in
the mainstream classroom?  And, is there any way to correlate this
information with "advanced" or "almost native-like proficiency" on the
ACTFL and ILR proficiency scales?

Judy Rosenthal, Kean University
<jrosenth at turbo.kean.edu>