8.1774, Disc: Prescriptivism

The LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Thu Dec 11 12:57:56 UTC 1997

LINGUIST List:  Vol-8-1774. Thu Dec 11 1997. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 8.1774, Disc: Prescriptivism

Associate Editor: Ljuba Veselinova <ljuba at linguistlist.org>

Assistant Editors:  Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>
                    Anita Huang <anita at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Elaine Halleck <elaine at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Wed, 10 Dec 97 10:02:00 GMT
From:  crwhiteley at tyco.geis.com
Subject:  Re: 8.1768, Disc: Prescriptiv

2)
Date:  Wed, 10 Dec 1997 09:16:53 -0600 (CST)
From:  Robert Knippen <rmk4 at midway.uchicago.edu>
Subject:  Re: 8.1764, Disc: Prescriptivism

3)
Date:  Wed, 10 Dec 1997 11:16:49 -0600
From:  goldberg at ukraine.corp.mot.com (Joseph Goldberg)
Subject:  Re: 8.1768, Disc: Prescriptivism

Date:  Wed, 10 Dec 97 10:02:00 GMT
From:  crwhiteley at tyco.geis.com

I have been following with interest the discussion on prescriptivism. it
seem to me that many of the comments agree about a couple of concepts
which nobody has made explicit yet.

Prescriptivists confuse defending the state of the language itself with
helping people to use it effectively and efficiently. Most linguists
agree that the language will not degrade or become a less suitable means
of communication in the absence of active intervention. In this sense no
variety of a language is superior to any other. However, when we describe
a language, there is also a place for describing the native speakers'
attitudes to it, and no description of modern English would be complete
without a reference to the prescriptive debates about such things as
"split infinitives". It is possible to describe the facts of this debate
objectively just as we describe any other linguistic (or in this case
socio-linguistic) fact.

We do no service to our students by pretending that presciptive attitudes
don't exist, and we should warn them that they may need to adapt their
spoken or written style to take into account the firmly held beliefs of
the people they must interact with, however much we might argue about
whether these beliefs have any linguistic justification.

Much teaching of language, as first or second language, is concerned with
learning about style, expressiveness, clarity, sensitivity to potential
ambiguity etc. There is all the difference in the world between helping
people to use the tool of language in the most appropriate way for each
of many different contexts and pontificating about what "ought" to be
"correct" in the language.

Colin Whiteley
Barcelona, Spain