8.1785, All: Important Notice about Linguist Donations

The LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Mon Dec 15 15:30:19 UTC 1997

LINGUIST List:  Vol-8-1785. Mon Dec 15 1997. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 8.1785, All: Important Notice about Linguist Donations

Associate Editor: Ljuba Veselinova <ljuba at linguistlist.org>

Assistant Editors:  Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>
                    Anita Huang <anita at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Anita Huang <anita at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Mon, 08 Dec 97 12:13:10 +0000
From:  The LINGUIST List <linguist at LINGUISTLIST.ORG>

Date:  Mon, 08 Dec 97 12:13:10 +0000
From:  The LINGUIST List <linguist at LINGUISTLIST.ORG>

Dear Subscribers:

One subscriber wrote us to say that she had received a card soliciting
donations to the EMU Foundation Fund and to ask whether she could use
the card, which allows for credit card numbers, in order to donate to
LINGUIST.  The short answer is "no"--the donations will not go to
LINGUIST, and we have not authorized any such solicitation.

In fact, when the Eastern Michigan Development Office agreed to
administer the LINGUIST Editorial Support Fund, we were assured that
under no circumstances would our supporters be solicited for donations
(you receive enough such messages from us!).  We have talked to the
Development Office again and been assured that all our supporters are
being computer-coded as "Do Not Solicit."  So we have reason to hope
that the mailing was not very large; and we have been assured that it
will not happen again.  However, we wished to offer our apologies for
any inconvenience you may have suffered.

With best wishes for the holiday season.

-Helen & Anthony
LINGUIST Moderators