8.1796, Disc: Prescriptivism

The LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Wed Dec 17 15:58:40 UTC 1997

LINGUIST List:  Vol-8-1796. Wed Dec 17 1997. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 8.1796, Disc: Prescriptivism

Associate Editor: Ljuba Veselinova <ljuba at linguistlist.org>

Assistant Editors:  Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>
                    Anita Huang <anita at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Mon, 15 Dec 1997 18:03:07 +0200
From:  Ivan A Derzhanski <iad at math.acad.bg>
Subject:  Re: 8.1780, Disc: Prescriptivism

2)
Date:  Mon, 15 Dec 1997 12:11:02 -0800 (PST)
From:  William Morris <morris at ling.ucsd.edu>
Subject:  Prescriptivism

3)
Date:  Tue, 16 Dec 1997 19:07:14 +0200
From:  Vsten Dahl <oesten at ling.su.se>

Date:  Mon, 15 Dec 1997 18:03:07 +0200
From:  Ivan A Derzhanski <iad at math.acad.bg>

Quoth Dick Hudson <dick at linguistics.ucl.ac.uk>:

> Mike Maxwell says that prescriptivism is about `ought to be' while
> descriptivism is about `is', but I don't think it's that simple; and
> that's why this issue is so hard to sort out. Descriptivism is also
> about `ought to be' in that it's about rules/norms,

But rules needn't be about `ought to be'.  They aren't in natural
science.  You can't paraphrase `2+2=4' or `E=m*c2' as `2+2 ought to be
4' or `_E_ ought to be equal to _m*c2_'.

> and the trouble with prescriptivism is precisely that it pretends to
> be about `is', because it claims that the `correct' rule for
> infinitives (say) is that they mustn't be split. Both approaches
> recognise that performance need not follow the rules - that
> infinitives are split every day.

It seems to me that within a descriptive approach performance can't
fail to follow the rules, because what performance does not follow is
by definition not a rule.  And afaik the `rule' about not saying _to
boldly go_ was never anything but a prescription.  What descriptivism
has to recognise is that any rule that actually exists can change on
very short notice, and that there is always a danger of today's
description being made into a prescription tomorrow.

> The difference is over the rules. Descriptivists *discover* them (by
> looking at normal behaviour - infinitive-splitting is so normal that
> it must be ok.)

I would suggest that descriptivism ends, and prescriptivism begins,
with the very use of the term `infinitive-splitting'.  Why call _to
go_ an infinitive?  Its etymological counterparts in the other
Germanic languages (such as German _zu gehen_) are never called that.

-

`Meum est propositum in taberna mori; Vinum sit appositum sitienti
ori: Ut dicant cum venerint angelorum chori "Deus sit propitius isti
potatori".'
                   (Archpoet of Cologne, `The Confession of Golias')

Ivan A Derzhanski                          <iad at banmatpc.math.acad.bg>

H: cplx Iztok bl 91, 1113 Sofia, Bulgaria
<http://www.math.acad.bg/~iad/>

W: Dept for Math Lx, Inst for Maths & CompSci, Bulg Acad of Sciences