8.1799, Qs: Predicates/Referents,False Friends,Romance Ling

The LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Wed Dec 17 16:49:20 UTC 1997

LINGUIST List:  Vol-8-1799. Wed Dec 17 1997. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 8.1799, Qs: Predicates/Referents,False Friends,Romance Ling

Associate Editor: Ljuba Veselinova <ljuba at linguistlist.org>

Assistant Editors:  Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>
                    Anita Huang <anita at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Tue, 16 Dec 1997 17:34:18 -0800 (PST)
From:  Frederick Newmeyer <fjn at u.washington.edu>
Subject:  Squishy Predicates and Referents

2)
Date:  Wed, 17 Dec 1997 10:55:33 +0200 (EET)
From:  Catarina Forslund FRA <cforslun at ra.abo.fi>
Subject:  False Friends

3)
Date:  Wed, 17 Dec 1997 13:10:51 -0500
From:  Jon Aske <aske at earthlink.net>
Subject:  Qn: Romance Linguistics Courses

Date:  Tue, 16 Dec 1997 17:34:18 -0800 (PST)
From:  Frederick Newmeyer <fjn at u.washington.edu>

I am interested in hearing about approaches to semantics that consider
'predicativity' and 'referentiality' as the extreme poles of a
continuum, as well as critiques (published or volunteered) of such a
notion. The only such approach that I am familiar with is John
Anderson's 'Notional Theory', in which syntactic categories are
defined by their position on the continuum. (Hence, modals are 100%
predicative, proper nouns are 100% referential, and everything else is
somewhere in between -- adjectives maybe 50% of each; infinitives more
or less 75% P & 25% R; common nouns more or less 85% R & 15% P; and so
on.)

Are there other similar approaches?

Thanks,

Fritz Newmeyer