8.1809, Disc: Prescriptivism

The LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Fri Dec 19 15:43:04 UTC 1997

LINGUIST List:  Vol-8-1809. Fri Dec 19 1997. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 8.1809, Disc: Prescriptivism

Associate Editor: Ljuba Veselinova <ljuba at linguistlist.org>

Assistant Editors:  Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>
                    Anita Huang <anita at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Elaine Halleck <elaine at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Fri, 19 Dec 1997 09:30:17 -0500 (EST)
From:  manaster at umich.edu
Subject:  Re: 8.1807, Disc: Prescriptivism

2)
Date:  Fri, 19 Dec 1997 08:39:54 +0000
From:  Dick Hudson <dick at linguistics.ucl.ac.uk>
Subject:  prescriptivism

3)
Date:  Fri, 19 Dec 1997 02:51:59 -0800 (PST)
From:  bwald at HUMnet.UCLA.EDU (bwald)
Subject:  Re: 8.1796, Disc: Prescriptivism

Date:  Fri, 19 Dec 1997 09:30:17 -0500 (EST)
From:  manaster at umich.edu

David Harris says:

  Someone made the comment the other day that linguists who are
involved in dictionary projects are by definition prescriptivists
because they are contributing toward the production of a text which is
meant to serve as a linguistic "authority." Only not all dictionaries
do that. A dictionary is first and foremost a source of
information.

That was me, except I did not quite say that.  I myself have been
associated with the OED, which is as descriptive a dictionary as
there is for English I guess.  Actually, I have some doubts even
here, but I think I tried to be clear that I meant those dictionaires
like Webester's, Random House etc. which clearly are prescriptive.

I should add that I do not buy the idea that one can replace
presecriptivism by merely "describing" the usage of "educated
speakers", as has sometimes been argued.  That's just a cop-out.

AMR