8.1812, All: LINGUIST and 1997

The LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Sat Dec 20 23:11:23 UTC 1997

LINGUIST List:  Vol-8-1812. Sat Dec 20 1997. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 8.1812, All: LINGUIST and 1997

Associate Editor: Ljuba Veselinova <ljuba at linguistlist.org>

Assistant Editors:  Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>
                    Anita Huang <anita at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Anthony Rodrigues Aristar <aristar at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Sat, 20 Dec 1997 12:24:42 +0900 (EST)
From:  linguist at linguistlist.org (The LINGUIST List)
Subject:  LINGUIST and 1997

Date:  Sat, 20 Dec 1997 12:24:42 +0900 (EST)
From:  linguist at linguistlist.org (The LINGUIST List)

The year is now ending, and it seems a good time for us to review the
past 12 months at LINGUIST, express our appreciation to those who
donated to the LINGUIST Editorial Support Fund in 1997, and thank our
editorial staff for the hard work they've done this year.  To that
end, we've listed the names of our 1997 contributors at the end of
this message, right after brief biographies of
		the new members of the LINGUIST crew.

This year was a time of considerable progress and considerable
upheaval for LINGUIST.  In late 1996 we were fortunate enough to
receive a grant from the NSF to expand LINGUIST services, and to write
new software to facilitate our functions.  We were all delighted at
the opportunity this gave us to do things we had previously only
dreamed of; but it also meant that the environment we worked in kept
on changing underneath us in 1997, and constant retraining has been
required of the staff in order to manage our new facilities.
Furthermore, as some of you will recall, the Listserv we had been
using for 7 years suddenly began to send out blank messages, and we
were compelled to move our operations to our own dedicated machine.
This move was made possible by the extraordinary generosity of the
Linguistic Data Consortium at the University of Pennsylvania, which
donated to LINGUIST a brand new machine and the software we need to
run it.

Finally, and perhaps worst of all, three of our most experienced and
dedicated editors, Ljuba Veselinova, Ann Dizdar and Sue Robinson, all
left us in August 1997, graduating from their respective programs and
moving on to other challenges. We miss them--and not just for their
technical expertise.  They had all become so much a part of the
LINGUIST family that it was hard to see them go. So we're delighted to
report that one of them--Ljuba Veselinova--has begun working with us
again, though she is now at the University of Stockholm.

All these changes resulted in a few technical glitches this year and a
slowdown on 2 services we had hoped to have up and running by this
time: the registry of individual linguists and a searchable database
of linguistics programs.  However, we expect to have all the software
begun last year completed by early 1998, and in the meantime we
appreciate your patience and continued support.

All in all, however, this has been a productive year for LINGUIST. We
wrote and put in place a new search engine for LINGUIST issues,
finally managed to get all our back issues up on the web in full HTML,
wrote cgi's to collect dissertation abstracts, revamped our issue
software so that it produces more complete HTML versions for the web,
and instituted LingLite, the low-cal version of LINGUIST that directs
overfed subscribers to LINGUIST issues on the web. We also started
Ask-A-LINGUIST, a service by which non-linguists can ask linguists
questions, and NoticeBoard, a web page where linguists can advertise
their need for things such as accommodation at conferences.  And we're
hoping soon to have in place software which will regularly publicize
the topics of the notices on the NoticeBoard.

None of this could have been accomplished without the hard work of our
current LINGUIST crew.  All of them learned their jobs in record time;
and, as a result, LINGUIST was able to continue with relatively little
interruption in September, after Ljuba, Ann, and Susan left.  (Special
thanks are due to Marty Jacobson and Brett Churchill, who started work
early in order to provide some transition.)

This seems a good time to introduce our new crew members to our
subscribers, so we asked each of them to write a little about
themselves and we extracted some of the more printable bits for the
descriptive paragraphs which follow:

- ----------------------------------------

Brett Churchill: Brett is a first-year graduate student in the
linguistics program at Eastern Michigan University.  He comes from Ann
Arbor, is married to an EMU graduate, and has 2 cats, Anne and Nong.
When he can find time away from LINGUIST, he enjoys a multitude of
outdoor activities, from mountain biking to golf.  He particularly
likes downhill skiing which, he tells us, is NOT to be confused with
the "horribly aerobic" activity of cross-country skiing.

Elaine Halleck: Elaine had a previous life as a graphic designer and
illustrator, though now she's working on a Master of Arts in English
with concentration in Linguistics and TESOL. She graduated from
Michigan State University in 1972 with a Bachelor's degree in Art with
honors. Since college, she has worked full-time in graphic design,
illustration, writing and editing, and has been an art director or
editor for several magazines, including the Tokyo Journal. It wasn't
until she later traveled extensively in Europe, North Africa, the
Middle East and Asia that she realized she had a strong interest in
foreign language and culture.

Anita Huang: Anita is an MA student at Eastern Michigan University.
She comes from Hsinchu in the northwestern part of Taiwan. She tells
us that, because she's a Hakka ('guest people' in Chinese, we
understand), she speaks this dialect as well as Mandarin and Southern
Min.  She has worked as an editor for a number of college journals in
Taiwan.  She loves to travel, enjoys writing, and has become a fan of
Michigan.

Marty Jacobsen: Marty is a third-year doctoral student at Texas A&M,
studying discourse.  He's writing a dissertation called "Orality,
Literacy, Cyberdiscursivity: A New Epistemic."  He comes originally
small-town Nebraska, and is married to Pat, a nurse specializing in
OB/GYN.  He claims very diverse hobbies: eating lots of meat, drinking
coffee, writing HTML, collecting Swiss Army Knives, and teaching
Freshman composition--which just never seems like a job to him, he
claims.

Julie Wilson: Julie is a Michigan native, received her Bachelors
degree in English and Linguistics from Western Michigan University in
1983.  Her interest in Language and History led her to persue a
Masters degree in Near Eastern Studies at the University of Michigan.
Her area of specialization was Linguistic and Cultural exchange in
Medieval Spain.  After obtaining a teaching certificate from Eastern
Michigan University, she spent ten years teaching elementary and
secondary students.  She is continuing her study of Linguistics at
Eastern and hopes to enter a Phd program in the fall of 1998.

As you know, LINGUIST is able to employ these editors primarily
because of the generosity of those who donated to the LINGUIST
Editorial Support Fund. Our universities provide tuition waivers for
the two LINGUIST fellowship holders and an additional graduate
assistantship for a third student editor.  But without the fund, there
would be no stipend for the editors--and hence no LINGUIST, since we
are well beyond the point at which the list could have been run
without graduate student help.  So, as the final part of this message,
we would like once again to thank our 1997 contributors, whose names
are listed below:

Helen, Anthony, and Daniel
LINGUIST Moderators

________________________________
1997 Contributors

Valued Supporters ($50 and under)

Anonymous
Galina Alexandrova
Lloyd Anderson (Ecological Linguistics)
Paula Baird
Robert Beard
Mayrine Bentley
Cassian Braconnier
Joaquim Brandao de Carvalho
Carsten Breul
Deborah Brownstein
Claudia Brugman
R. Joe Campbell
Linda Coleman
Anthony Davis
Dorothy Disterheft
Jean-Louis Duchet
Suzette Haden Elgin
David Eddington
Feride Erku
Dominique Estival
Susan Felshin
James Fidelholtz
Luisanna Fodde
Robert  Fouser
Louanna Furbee
Judith Fuller
Elly van Gelderen
Keith Goeringer
Claire Gronemeyer
Alan Harris
Fritz Heberlein
Suzanne Hilgendorf
Caitlin Hines
David Holt
Alice Horning
Elizabeth Hughes
Bernhard Hurch
Frances Ingemann
Martha Islas
Elaine Jones
Marion Kee
Andrew Kehler
Suzanne Kemmer
Jong-Mi Kim
Carolyn Kirkpatrick
Micael Kliffer
John Koontz
Knud Lambrecht
Young-H Lee
Judith Levi
Joan Levinson
Vern Lindblad
Virginia Locastro
Fernando Martinez-Gil
Ana Maria Martins
Bart Mathias
Madeline M. Maxwell
Scott McGinnis
Sue Medeiros
Anita Mittwoch
Rosa Montes
Simon Musgrave
Michael Newman
Lynn Nichols
Richard Oehrle
Francisco Ordonez
Susan Pintzuk
Terence Potter
Burton Rosner
Lynn Santelmann
Mary Schleppegrell
Andreas Schramm
Klaus Schubert
Carol Myers Scotton
Antonio R. M. Simoes
Jim Sneddon
Susan Steele
Roland Sussex
Jan-Olof Svantesson
Robert L. Trammell
Jeff von Munkwitz-Smith
Barbara Vance
Joerg Wagner
Kathleen M. Ward
Frank Wijnen

Patrons ($50 or more):

Anonymous
Anders Ahlqvist
Belinda Bicknell & Gary Witus
Wayles  Browne
Claudia Brugman
CASCADILLA PRESS
Donna Christian
Billy Clark
Bernard Comrie
Hortensia Curell
Mary Dalrymple
Douglas L. Dee
Stanley Dubinsky
DEPT. OF LINGUISTICS, UNIVERSITY OF DURHAM
William Edmondson
Dan Everett
Julia Falk
Joseph Foster
Donald Freeman
Nancy Frishberg
Kazuhiko Fukushima
GEORGETOWN UNIVERSITY PRESS
Richard Hudson
Barbara Herrarte
Michael Hess
Roderick Jacobs
Dora Johnson
Ioanna Kappa
Hans Kronning
INDIANA UNIVERSITY PRESS
LINGUISTIQUE AFRICAINE (via Cassian Braconnier)
Ernest McCarus
Jerry McMenamin
Geoff Nathan
Andrea Osburne
Barbara Pearson
Ingo Plag
Linda Stump Rashidi
Robert Ratcliffe
Ann Reboul
RECHERCHES LINGUISTIQUES DE VINCENNES
Lisa Reed
Nikolaus Ritt
Charles Scott
Carlota Smith
Ute Smit
UNIVERSITY OF MAINE LINGUISTICS DEPT.
Max Wheeler
Ronnie Wilbur
WAVELAND PRESS

Mainstays ($100 or more):

Graeme Forbes
Vicki Fromkin
Bruce Fraser
Beverley Goodman
Monica Macaulay & Joseph Salmons
Marguerite MacKenzie
Johanna Nichols
Sergio Scalise
Chi-Lin Shih and Richard Sproat
Frances Trix

BLACKWELLS PUBLISHING
CENTER FOR APPLIED LINGUISTICS
CORNELL UNIVERSITY PRESS
CSLI
GARLAND PUBLISHING
HOLLAND ACADEMIC GRAPHICS
INDIANA UNIVERSITY LINGUISTICS CLUB
JOHN BENJAMINS PUBLISHING, North America
KLUWERS PUBLISHING
LINGUISTIC SOCIETY OF AMERICA
THE LUCENT FOUNDATION (via Chilin Shih and Richard Sproat)
MEDIA ENTERPRISE
MICHIGAN STATE UNIVERSITY, LINGUISTICS DEPT.
MICROSOFT CORPORATION
MIT PRESS
MITWPL (MIT WORKING PAPERS IN LINGUISTICS)
MONTCLAIR UNIVERSITY, DEPT. OF LINGUISTICS
NDT MEDIA
OXFORD UNIVERSITY PRESS
ROUTLEDGE
SUMMER INSTITUTE OF LINGUISTICS
UNIVERSITY OF NORTH TEXAS, DIVISION OF LINGUISTICS
UNIVERSITY OF CONNECTICUT, LINGUISTICS CLUB
MOUTON DE GRUYTER