8.1828, Disc: Prescriptivism

The LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Mon Dec 22 21:09:22 UTC 1997

LINGUIST List:  Vol-8-1828. Mon Dec 22 1997. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 8.1828, Disc: Prescriptivism

Associate Editor: Ljuba Veselinova <ljuba at linguistlist.org>

Assistant Editors:  Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>
                    Anita Huang <anita at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Anita Huang <anita at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Sun, 21 Dec 1997 12:26:36 -0500
From:  Daniel Zimmerman <daniel7 at IDT.NET>
Subject:  Re: 8.1813, Disc: Prescriptivism

2)
Date:  Mon, 22 Dec 1997 09:24:28 +0000
From:  Dick Hudson <dick at linguistics.ucl.ac.uk>
Subject:  prescriptivism

3)
Date:  Mon, 22 Dec 1997 09:32:07 -0500
From:  "Karl V.(van Duyn) Teeter" <kvt at fas.harvard.edu>
Subject:  Re: Disc: Prescriptivism

4)
Date:  Mon, 22 Dec 1997 09:48:59 -0500
From:  "Karl V.(van Duyn) Teeter" <kvt at fas.harvard.edu>
Subject:  Re: Discussion of Prescriptivism

Date:  Sun, 21 Dec 1997 12:26:36 -0500
From:  Daniel Zimmerman <daniel7 at IDT.NET>

Hi.
	This list appears rather formal, and I've just signed on, so I hope you
will forgive a non-linguist for asking about a topic which many of you,
so I've heard, consider anathema: E-Prime -- English without any of the
forms of *to be* -- which I've used in my English Comp. classes for the
past five years with interesting results.
	About two months ago, I sent an article on the subject to _Teaching
English in the Two Year College_, and just received some comments on it,
urging minor revisions [among them, that I not sound so much like a
linguist!]. Actually, I've taken only one linguistics course [a senior
course in Japanese Morphology, about 30 years ago; I found it
interesting, but a pretty steep learning curve].
	My classroom use of E-Prime limits it to a revision technique, not
prescriptive but heuristic, and I avoid the more messianic claims for it
which abound among general semanticists. Last year, I presented a paper
on E-Prime at the Conference on College Composition and Communication in
Milwaukee. There, by the way, I heard a fascinating presentation by
Alice Horning on learning styles and revision; she found that better
writers tended, when stumped, to use strategies common to students with
learning styles opposite their own! It struck me that, since no one
would spontaneously use E-Prime as a revision strategy, its use as a
technique might not favor any particular learning style [an hypothesis I
hope to investigate].
	So: I'd very much like to hear what professional linguists think of
E-Prime [used heuristically, not prescriptively]. If you'd rather not
clutter the list with such a marginal discussion, please backchannel
comments, suggestions and bibliography.
	Thanks, and happy holidays!
Best,
Daniel Zimmerman