8.150, Disc: Ebonics

linguist at linguistlist.org linguist at linguistlist.org
Sat Feb 1 05:21:05 UTC 1997

LINGUIST List:  Vol-8-150. Sat Feb 1 1997. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 8.150, Disc: Ebonics

                   Ann Dizdar <ann at linguistlist.org>
Technical Editor:  Ron Reck <ron at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Anthony Rodrigues Aristar <aristar at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Wed, 29 Jan 1997 11:10:15 -0800
From:  hagiwara at Waisman.Wisc.Edu (Rob Hagiwara)
Subject:  Re: 8.127, Disc: Ebonics

2)
Date:  Wed, 29 Jan 97 12:19:20 -0600
From:  John Konopak <jkonopak at ou.edu>
Subject:  Re: 8.119, Disc: Ebonics

3)
Date:  Thu, 30 Jan 1997 10:59:56 GMT0BST
From:  "Alan Smith" <Alan.Smith at newcastle.ac.uk>
Subject:  Re: 8.54, Disc: Ebonics

4)
Date:  Thu, 30 Jan 1997 14:58:26 +0000
From:  Sam Salt <D.W.Salt at derby.ac.uk>
Subject:  Re: 8.128, Disc: Ebonics

Date:  Wed, 29 Jan 1997 11:10:15 -0800
From:  hagiwara at Waisman.Wisc.Edu (Rob Hagiwara)

I'd like to reply to Karen S. Chung's comments on the term 'Ebonics'.  The
press reported early on that "Ebonics" was a combination of 'ebon' meaning
'black', and 'phonics', meaning god-knows-what in this context.

I don't care for the word either, but this is because I regard the
language-form in question to be properly regarded as a variety of English,
although there is considerable controversy as to whether it may have
originated as a creole.

>        I know how touchy people are about political correctness these
>days, but I find this term downright offensive - mainly because of how it
>screams out subservience to the tenets of PC. It reminds me of the
>magazine _Ebony_, and I can only guess that this might be its origin. I of
>course have nothing against the magazine; I just feel 'Ebonics' is an odd
>and inappropriate name for something we already have a more familiar and
>simpler term for.

Political Correctness is not about replacing 'familiar and simpler' terms
with 'odd and inappropriate' ones.  The 'tenets' of PC are about courtesy
and accuracy.  Whatever else might be surmised from the name 'Karen Steffen
Chung', I presume she would be offended by being referred to as a
'Chinaman', since I assume a) she is a woman who might feel excluded by the
inappropriate connatations of '-man', and b) that having a Chinese-sounding
surname is not the same thing as 'being from China', particularly when
combined with a middle name like 'Steffen'.  From her e-mail address, I
assume she is 'from China' in one sense or another, but still, out of
courtesy, I will avoid 'Chinaman' because it could so easily be offensive.

>        What in the world is wrong with 'Black English', as it always used
>to be called? Sounds so much more *normal* and comfortable to me. Why do
>we have to pussyfoot around like this? What is the point? I will refrain
>from thinking up names built on the 'Ebonics' analogy for the English
>spoken by various other minority groups and whites to try and make my
>point. Sometimes PC just goes *too* *far*.

While I agree that there is nothing wrong with 'Black English', or the more
recent term 'African-American Vernacular English'.  There is equally
nothing wrong with 'Ebonics'.  However, part of the controversy (at least
at the beginning) was whether or not 'Ebonics' was properly regarded as a
variety of English.  If it is not, referring to it as it if were would be
inaccurate.  The term 'Ebonics' arose to avoid the issue, both of 'English'
and 'Vernacular', which in popular use has many of the same connotations as
'vulgar'.

>        This whole thing also points up how one coinage in one district of
>one state can change the language so quickly, something that is
>interesting in its own right. At least *I* never heard of the term
>'Ebonics' before the current furor. And I think the sensitivity of the
>whole issue had a lot to do with the rapid acceptance and spread of the
>neologism. Perhaps it was the awkwardness of a term no longer considered
>admissible in polite company that paved the way.

I absolutely agree that the quick acceptance of the term 'Ebonics' is
fascinating.  However, I think the term itself has little to do with the
big issue.  The original Oakland SB resolution referred to western-African
'origins' of Ebonics, and claimed (or was read to claim) that Ebonics was
properly regarded as a foreign language.  "African American Vernacular
English" is still acceptable in 'polite company', but with the accepted
connotation that the language-form in question is a variety of English.

..     Waisman Center and Dept of Comm Disorders, UWisconsin-Madison     ..
.. "The absence of a sense of humor renders life impossible." -- Colette ..
................. http://www.waisman.wisc.edu/~hagiwara/ ..................