8.156, Sum: Varieties of English

linguist at linguistlist.org linguist at linguistlist.org
Sun Feb 2 01:54:47 UTC 1997

LINGUIST List:  Vol-8-156. Sat Feb 1 1997. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 8.156, Sum: Varieties of English

                   Ann Dizdar <ann at linguistlist.org>
Technical Editor:  Ron Reck <ron at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Ljuba Veselinova <ljuba at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Wed, 29 Jan 1997 11:00:57 +0100
From:  iamario at usc.es (Mario Cal Varela)
Subject:  sum: varieties of English

Date:  Wed, 29 Jan 1997 11:00:57 +0100
From:  iamario at usc.es (Mario Cal Varela)

Dear linguists,

two weeks ago I posted a message asking for information about
"general bibliographical references and/or samples of speech
commercially available on tape, CD-ROM or via Internet for a
university course on geographical, social and situational
varieties of English". I thank all those people who sent their
suggestions or showed any interest in the issue.

Tej K. Bhatia's suggestion:
>I am using American Tongues (available from New American Media
> 212-925-5692 (fax)
>in my sociolinguisitic course. SOme vlumes of the Story of ENglish might
>also help you. Routledge London has a CD ROM of the English varieties, but
>I have not have the opportunity to use it.

Christine M. Babick's:
>I bought one cassette tape from a commercial audiobook catalog that I
> receive
>quarterly. They sell two tapes you might be able to use, which are actually
>for drama students who want to gain facility with American and British
>English dialects and accents.They also include English spoken with
>nonnative-speaker accents.  Here's a description:
>DIALECT MONOLOGUES, VOL 1: Texan, Irish, British, French, New York, Boston,
>Mountain Southern (American), Chicago, German, Yiddish, Spanish, Italian,
> and
>Cockney. L6X913a   1 cassette and booklet   $19.95
>
>DIALECT MONOLOGUES, VOL 2: Black African, Northern Irish, English South
>African, Welsh, Cajun, Canadian, Afrikaans, Liverpudlian, Asian Indian,
>Hebrew, New England, Australian, Russian, and Scottish.    L5X927a  1 cass.
>and booklet  $19.95
>
>Order from: Audio Editions, Books on Cassette, P.O. Box 6930, Auburn,
>California, 95604, USA     tele: 800-231-4261 or fax: 800-882-1840
>These are toll-free numbers when dialed within the USA---I don't know if
 you
>can use it.
>Here's e mail: bookaudio at aol.com
>When ordering, use the item numbers listed above.

Gisle Andersen's:
>You might want to know that we have got a 500,000 word corpus of the spoken
>English of London teenagers. This will be launched on CD-ROM this spring.
>At present you can view the texts at http://www.hd.uib.no/colt/ which also
>contains more info about this corpus project.

Thanks also to Richard Firsten, who's given me a contact at
Florida International University (any further information
derived from this will also be posted to the list); Celso
Alvarez C=E1ccamo, who maintains an interesting page on
code-switching in conversation

(http://www.udc.es/dep/lx/cac/c-s); and
Richard Dury and Marc Fryd.
Mario Cal Varela
Departamento de Filolox=EDa Inglesa e Alemana, despacho 307
Facultade de Filolox=EDa
Universidade de Santiago de Compostela
c/ Burgo das Naci=F3ns s/n
Santiago 15705