8.164, Disc: Ebonics

linguist at linguistlist.org linguist at linguistlist.org
Tue Feb 4 15:09:19 UTC 1997

LINGUIST List:  Vol-8-164. Tue Feb 4 1997. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 8.164, Disc: Ebonics

                   Ann Dizdar <ann at linguistlist.org>
Technical Editor:  Ron Reck <ron at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: T. Daniel Seely <seely at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Thu, 30 Jan 1997 10:58:29 -0500 (EST)
From:  Karl Teeter <kvt at husc.harvard.edu>
Subject:  Re: 8.134, Disc: Ebonics

2)
Date:  Thu, 30 Jan 1997 16:08:51 -0500
From:  "Thomas T. Field" <tfield at umbc.edu>
Subject:  Ebonics and linguistics

3)
Date:  Thu, 30 Jan 1997 23:58:32 -0500
From:  Stirling Newberry <allegro at thecia.net>
Subject:  Disc: Ebonics

4)
Date:  Fri, 31 Jan 1997 11:14:19 -0500
From:  Stirling Newberry <allegro at thecia.net>
Subject:  Disc: Note on Subject: 8.143, Disc: Ebonics

Date:  Thu, 30 Jan 1997 10:58:29 -0500 (EST)
From:  Karl Teeter <kvt at husc.harvard.edu>

Dear Friends and Colleagues:

	The discussion has become tiresome and I regret taking valuable
list space to say more, but this is a LINGUIST list, and if linguists
won't understand the term "dialect" who will?  A dialect IS a language
(I'm looking again at Edward Sapir's article "dialect" in the
Encyclopaedia of the Social Sciences, N.Y. 1931). Whether it is
RECOGNIZED as a language is not a matter of linguistics, but of politics.
This is where the violence comes from, and would it were merely verbal!
Applying "moral value" to a dialect is not the business of linguists, for
goodness sake! What of Hindi/Urdu, Serbo-Croatian or, for that matter of
the dialects/languages of former Rwanda-Burundi, where people who speak in
exactly the same manner kill each other? As Sapir says, "to the linguist
there is no real difference between a 'dialect' and a 'language'..."  Or
if you don't like Sapir, just go back to the Boas collection of papers
entitled "Race, Language, and Culture"!  But please let us stop talking
about the differences between "slang" and "respectable" speech and
recognize the ebonics debate as primarily another opportunity for racial
prejudice to be exhibited. Black English (AAVE?) is a language, even as is
my Boston dialect, let's face it.  Okay, I'll take up no moah space.
Yours, kvt