8.178, Disc: The English Future

linguist at linguistlist.org linguist at linguistlist.org
Thu Feb 6 14:35:37 UTC 1997

LINGUIST List:  Vol-8-178. Thu Feb 6 1997. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 8.178, Disc: The English Future

                   Ann Dizdar <ann at linguistlist.org>
Technical Editor:  Ron Reck <ron at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: T. Daniel Seely <seely at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Wed, 5 Feb 1997 00:11:09 -0800 (PST)
From:  bwald at HUMnet.UCLA.EDU (benji wald)
Subject:  Re: 8.161, Disc: The English Future

2)
Date:  Wed, 05 Feb 1997 08:27:21 -0800
From:  Tom Payne <tpayne at OREGON.UOREGON.EDU>

3)
Date:  Wed, 5 Feb 1997 10:20:51 -0600 (CST)
From:  ocls at ipa.net (George Elgin, Suzette Haden Elgin)
Subject:  English future tense

4)
Date:  Thu, 6 Feb 97 12:41:41 +0100
From:  harder at coco.ihi.ku.dk
Subject:  future in English

5)
Date:  Wed, 5 Feb 1997 22:12:49 +0200
From:  "Yehuda N. Falk" <msyfalk at pluto.mscc.huji.ac.il>

Date:  Wed, 5 Feb 1997 00:11:09 -0800 (PST)
From:  bwald at HUMnet.UCLA.EDU (benji wald)

To some extent I agree with Alex Housen in his disagreement with Joseph
Foster about whether English has a "future tense" or not.  However, my main
disagreement with Joe is that he is missing the point if he gets hung up on
terminology in responding to such ideas as Ron Anderson expressed.  My
worst-case reading of Anderson's comment, which I think is also the most
likely one, is that he thinks the kids he tested do not have the cognitive
development to understand what the "future" is (whatever that might mean).
Does it mean they can't look forward to Christmas presents or to food when
they get hungry?  Or to the end of the schoolday so they can play or watch
TV or whatever?
Does it mean that the next thing that happens to them is always totally
unexpected?  Does it mean they don't know what "wait!" means?  In that
context, Joe's comment would be "pedantic", criticising Anderson's use of a
word in a way that is common outside of linguistics, and does not criticise
Anderson's main thesis as unclear at best.

Within the domain of discourse which IS linguistics, Joe is quite right to
point out, as many others have, that there is still confusion among
scholars as to whether "tense" refers to some kind of morphological/formal
paradigm or to some kind of conceptual notion.  And in discussing that,
scholars often lapse from one usage to another, even when they start out
acknowledging that the confusion is a problem.  One might think there is
something inherently confusing about the phenomenon at issue.  And maybe
there is.

It seems to me that if "tense" means anything conceptually, common
linguistic usage is that it refers to some kind of time relationship
between a verb, representing an event or whatever, and a time reference
point.  By this common use, "future" means an event conceptualised to take
place some time or other AFTER  the moment of speaking.  Furthermore, it
seems to me that conceptualisation of "tense" in this way is implicit in
all comparisons of "tense" across languages, or diachronically within a
language, such as French, and even more strikingly, Spanish.  Otherwise,
what is the basis for comparison?

This is apart from consideration of whether "will", "gonna", "intending
to", "fixing to", "aiming to", "will can"(?) and such expressions of
modality are semantically characterisable as "future tense" or something
else, e.g., marking of "irreality" from which "future" time reference is
deduced pragmatically somehow.  In this respect, it turns out that in
English, at least spoken English, "will" is very frequently used for
habitual,  "Murder will out", "boys will be boys" etc.  If you're a "future
tense" advocate I guess you'll say that this usage is some
conventionalisation of the relation between habituality and prediction.
That is, if you suppose "boys will be boys" "literally" ("semantically"?)
is a prediction, then you will argue that the implied basis for the
prediction is that such things as "boys being boys" happen recurrently, and
therefore "prediction" has conventionalised in English as also a way to
express habituality.  (Actually I think the "habitual" use is as old as the
"future" use, so one use may never have had priority over the other use in
any way.)

Very interesting is Alex's observation that some verbs, like "know", cannot
be used to express the "conceptual" future without "will".  Naturally, my
first thought is that that fact is somehow related to the fact that "know"
also does not allow a so-called "progressive" construction, ?"I'm knowing
that".  And I had to pause to consider his example "I'm gonna know that
tomorrow", before deciding that it was OK. We might also wonder, if it
hasn't been solved yet, why "will" can be used in volunteering, but "gonna"
cannot, e.g., "Who volunteers to put the bell on the cat's tail?"  Answer:
"I will", NOT "I'm gonna".  Does it go back to "will" meaning "want", e.g.,
"I'm WILLing"?  Seems to me that in this context, "I will" also somehow
concedes that it's not up to me to be selected, only to offer.  "I'm gonna"
sounds peculiar  because it contradicts that implication.

In any case, do such considerations  detract from a "purely" tense analysis
of "will"?  Or is the issue not whether it's "tense" or not, but how the
"conceptual future" is never expressed by "tense" alone in English, and
that's why there are always further choices to be made if "future" is to be
expressed in English?  And what is the status of the difference in choosing
between "tomorrow we WILL KNOW" and "tomorrow we're GONNA FIND OUT"?  It
seems like we're back to the problem of syntax vs. semantics, as usual.

Spanish seems more interesting than French in this regard, since at least
the forms of (Mexican)  Spanish I am most familiar with never use the
"morphological future" to express tense alone.  The meaning of "hablarA" is
always something like "he might talk".  The "periphrastic future" has to be
used to get rid of the doubt/hedge: "va a hablar"  'he will/'s gonna talk'.
By the way, you might suggest that calling them both types of "future"
causes some kind of problem.  I'm not so sure.  My understanding on the
basis of more conservative dialects of Spanish is that, like French, the
"morphological future" was once pretty much an indication of tense without
modality, i.e., without some marking of the proposition for belief status.
If so, the Spanish "morph fut" has shifted from tense to modality.  This
movement is parallel to the "past subjunctive" (or whatever you call it),
e.g., "hablAra"  'I would (have) go(ne)', which was earlier an "indicative
pluperfect", but has pretty much replaced the -se past sjn in such
varieties of Spanish.  Meanwhile, English "will" seems to have been moving
in the opposite direction, from "modality" to "tense".  It never had a
"morphological future", at least not since Pre-Germanic.

A lot remains to be understood about "tense" and "modality", beyond how we
ever started using these terms in making cross-linguistic comparisons in
the first place.

P.S.  what does "shall" mean?   --  Benji