8.188, Qs: Illness, Lang Teaching/Policy, French

linguist at linguistlist.org linguist at linguistlist.org
Fri Feb 7 19:25:06 UTC 1997

LINGUIST List:  Vol-8-188. Fri Feb 7 1997. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 8.188, Qs: Illness, Lang Teaching/Policy, French

                   Ann Dizdar <ann at linguistlist.org>
Technical Editor:  Ron Reck <ron at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Ann Dizdar <ann at linguistlist.org>

Date:           Fri, 7 Feb 1997 15:37:50 GMT+0200
From:  "Arran Stibbe" <LICS at warthog.ru.ac.za>
Subject:        The social construction of illness

2)
Date:  Fri, 7 Feb 1997 10:36:08 +0100 (MEZ)
From:  Erica Benson <zupix at mlucom2.urz.uni-halle.DE>
Subject:  Req:History of Language Teaching/Policy

3)
Date:  Fri, 7 Feb 1997 13:38:58 -0500 (EST)
From:  T Say <saytev at essex.ac.uk>
Subject:  French frequency dictionary

Date:           Fri, 7 Feb 1997 15:37:50 GMT+0200
From:  "Arran Stibbe" <LICS at warthog.ru.ac.za>

Autobiographies, I find, take me into other worlds like no other
literature does. There may be inaccurate reconstructions and
distortions of events, but they show how people think and reason and
experience their lives.  Particularly interesting are `pathographies',
detailed first person descriptions of how people are effected by
serious illness, not just on a medical level but also on personal,
emotional and social levels.

My own interest is in tracing the metaphors used in pathography, and,
through the wealth of information provided by the details of the
autobiographies, trying to assess their affect on people's lives.

Given what I see as their potential for illuminating the social
construction of illness I am surprised not to find lots of literature
on pathography.  Arthur Frank writes that `There are virtually no
academic studies of nonfiction, first person, published illness
narrative; the sole exception I know is Hawkins (1984)'.

The question is, is Frank right? If anyone has come across either work
on illness narratives in popular non-fiction, or has found some
particularly interesting non-fiction account of illness then it would
be nice to hear from you. I'll send a summary of what I find to
everyone.

Arran Stibbe
(lics at warthog.ru.ac.za)

Arran Stibbe                   TEL: 27 461 318105 (W)
Department of Linguistics      FAX: 27 461 25049
Rhodes University
Grahamstown 6140
South Africa