8.192, Disc: Communication between blind & sighted

linguist at linguistlist.org linguist at linguistlist.org
Fri Feb 7 20:31:10 UTC 1997

LINGUIST List:  Vol-8-192. Fri Feb 7 1997. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 8.192, Disc: Communication between blind & sighted

                   Ann Dizdar <ann at linguistlist.org>
Technical Editor:  Ron Reck <ron at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Ann Dizdar <ann at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Wed, 5 Feb 1997 14:07:09 -0500 (EST)
From:  Sheri B Wells <sbwells at ACSU.Buffalo.EDU>
Subject:  Communication between blind & sighted

2)
Date:  Wed, 5 Feb 1997 08:54:57 GMT
From:  "A.F. GUPTA" <engafg at ARTS-01.NOVELL.LEEDS.AC.UK>

3)
Date:  Thu, 6 Feb 1997 14:45:51 -0600 (CST)
From:  John Te Velde <forljrv at osuunx.ucc.okstate.edu>
Subject:  Re: 8.133 communication between the blind and the sighted

Date:  Wed, 5 Feb 1997 14:07:09 -0500 (EST)
From:  Sheri B Wells <sbwells at ACSU.Buffalo.EDU>

I am writing to add my voice to Robert Englebretson's excellently
articulated response to the posting on blind/sighted communication.  I
agree with Mr. Englebretson that the presuppositions underlying
Welcome Sekwati's proposed research are unscientific at best, and at
worst conducive to internecine prejudice.

I also agree that "constant transmission failures" do not characterize
blind/sighted interaction, neither in my own experience nor in the
literature I have seen on the topic; the natural redundancy present in
linguistic interaction compensates for whatever slight difficulties
may arise.  While recent research (L.S. Kekelis & P.M. Prinz, "Blind
and sighted children with their mothers: The development of discourse
skills", _Journal of Visual Impairment and Blindness_ 90:5, 1996)
seems to indicate that there may be some developmental differences in
early discourse of blind children, no study I know of indicates
communicational difficulties on the part of adult blind speakers.

I am a Ph.D. candidate in linguistics who is blind as well.  What I
have observed in personal interaction is: increased use of vocatives
by both blind and sighted speakers; and occasional confusion arising
from the use of spatial deixis in lecture-type situations (e.g. "Now,
this chemical reaction is okay except for the extra hydrogen atom down
here").

Blind/sighted communication is an area for potentially interesting
research, but -- as with any topic with social ramifications -- it
must be approached with scientific detachment and without damaging
preconceptions.

Sheri Wells
Linguistics Department
State University of New York at Buffalo