8.196, Disc: The English Future

linguist at linguistlist.org linguist at linguistlist.org
Sat Feb 8 13:37:22 UTC 1997

LINGUIST List:  Vol-8-196. Sat Feb 8 1997. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 8.196, Disc: The English Future

                   Ann Dizdar <ann at linguistlist.org>
Technical Editor:  Ron Reck <ron at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: T. Daniel Seely <seely at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Fri, 7 Feb 97 12:29:49 +1100
From:  John Atkinson <johna at tiny.me.su.oz.au>
Subject:  Re: 8.178, Disc: The English Future

2)
Date:  Thu, 6 Feb 1997 18:30:42 -0200 (GMT+2)
From:  Koutsomitopoulou Elenh <elena at eexi.gr>

3)
Date:  Mon, 3 Feb 1997 09:45:41 -0500
From:  "LAS" <dharris at las-inc.com>
Subject:  will as a future

Date:  Fri, 7 Feb 97 12:29:49 +1100
From:  John Atkinson <johna at tiny.me.su.oz.au>

bwald at HUMnet.UCLA.EDU (benji wald) wrote:

>We might also wonder, if it
>hasn't been solved yet, why "will" can be used in volunteering, but "gonna"
>cannot, e.g., "Who volunteers to put the bell on the cat's tail?"  Answer:
>"I will", NOT "I'm gonna".  Does it go back to "will" meaning "want", e.g.,
>"I'm WILLing"?  Seems to me that in this context, "I will" also somehow
>concedes that it's not up to me to be selected, only to offer.  "I'm gonna"
>sounds peculiar  because it contradicts that implication.

I'm not sure about this.  Note that "gonna" is OK if the question is
expressed slightly differently:

Q: "Who volunteers to bell the cat?"  A: "I do."  "I will."  *"I'm gonna."
Q: "Who'll volunteer to bell the cat?"  A: *"I do."  "I will." ?"I'm gonna."
Q: "Who's gonna volunteer to bell the cat?" A: *"I do."  "I will." "I'm gonna."

"I'd like to" also works for all three.  Whether this is synonomous with
the first "I will" is by no means obvious to me.  And whether "I'd like to"
means "I'd like to volunteer", or "I'd like to bell the cat" is equally
unclear.  Similarly, "I will" could equally well mean "I will volunteer",
or "I will bell the cat", it seems to me (especially in the first case).
Same with "I'm gonna" (in the third case).

Actually, the third form of the question is almost the only one I'd
want to use myself.  The others sound a little stilted or oldfashioned.

>P.S.  what does "shall" mean?   --  Benji

Nothing.  It doesn't exist in my dialect.

John