8.228, Sum: Readability

linguist at linguistlist.org linguist at linguistlist.org
Tue Feb 18 05:32:16 UTC 1997

LINGUIST List:  Vol-8-228. Tue Feb 18 1997. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 8.228, Sum: Readability

                   Ann Dizdar <ann at linguistlist.org>
Technical Editor:  Ron Reck <ron at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Ann Dizdar <ann at linguistlist.org>

Date:           Wed, 12 Feb 1997 09:44:27 GMT
From:  <SHAPERJJ at m4-arts.bham.ac.uk>
Subject:        readability responses

Date:           Wed, 12 Feb 1997 09:44:27 GMT
From:  <SHAPERJJ at m4-arts.bham.ac.uk>

From:  <SHAPERJJ at m4-arts.bham.ac.uk>
or: j.j.shapero at bham.ac.uk

Thanks to the following who responded to my question (LINGUIST List
Vol-8-141) about "text readability formulae which do not employ
sentence (or word) length":

"Arendse Bernth" <ARENDSE at watson.ibm.com>

Also interested in answers to this question!

Robert.Sigley at vuw.ac.nz

Who has created: "a general formality index based primarily on
frequencies of sets of common wordforms, but without explicit
reference to word length or sentence length.". Potential problem:
"index tends to treat conversation as highly informal.".