8.232, Qs: Lang acq, Pragmatics, Riddle

linguist at linguistlist.org linguist at linguistlist.org
Tue Feb 18 16:45:10 UTC 1997

LINGUIST List:  Vol-8-232. Tue Feb 18 1997. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 8.232, Qs: Lang acq, Pragmatics, Riddle

                   Ann Dizdar <ann at linguistlist.org>
Technical Editor:  Ron Reck <ron at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Ann Dizdar <ann at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Tue, 11 Feb 1997 14:14:33 -0500
From:  Jules Levin <jflevin at ucrac1.ucr.edu>
Subject:  Lang acq

2)
Date:  Tue, 11 Feb 1997 12:46:14 +0000 (GMT)
From:  "ANNE BARRON (GERMAN) PG" <ABARRON at ollamh.ucd.ie>
Subject:  interlanguage pragmatics

3)
Date:  Mon, 10 Feb 97 09:13:09 +0300
From:  Elena Suleymanova <helen at ai.botik.ru>
Subject:  riddle about a dog

Date:  Tue, 11 Feb 1997 14:14:33 -0500
From:  Jules Levin <jflevin at ucrac1.ucr.edu>

I have a question for the list: Over the weekend I heard a report on
NPR regarding a child in England (judging from the accent) who did not
learn to speak until after age 8, and then only after a
left-hemisphere-ectomy, which cured the terrible seizures he had been
having from babyhood.  This report stated that the case "challenged
the prevailing views of linguists regarding child acquisition [and
language locus as well, I assume...].  Where can I get more info on
this?  Is it being discussed at a WEB site or on email?  Please answer
to my personal email address (as well as LIST, if you do), because of
item (1) above.  Thanks.  Jules Levin